Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 21st, 2012 03:00

Network adapter has to be disabled then enabled after start up

Hi, we 12 Dells on an office network, all working fine except that one Optiplex 3310 with 8mb RAM running Windows 7 professional doesn't connect to the Internet on startup.  Each time we start up the computer it can see the network, storage drives etc but cannot connect to the internet. If I disable then enable the network adapter it is fine.

One suggestion I received was to uninstall the adapter then install it again, but just thought I would ask here before I try that.

Many thanks

750 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 06:00

Hi Urban Research,

You are correct! Intel 82579LM is the Ethernet Adaptor. Issue that you have described could be due to a faulty network driver. Follow the below mentioned steps to troubleshoot this issue:

• Download and save the network drivers using the link provided below: 

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/optiplex-990?DriverId=V0YV4&FileId=2731104221&DriverName=Intel%20825xx%20Gigabit%20Platform%20LAN%20Network%20Device%2C%20v.11.13.51.0%2C%20A02&urlProductCode=False

• Click “Start”, type “Device Manager” and press enter.
  • In the Device Manager window, click plus sign next to “Network Adaptors”.
  • Under “Network Adaptors”, right click Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection” and click Uninstall.
  • When prompted, check “Delete the driver software for this device”, and click “Ok”.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to uninstall the network drivers and restart the computer.
  • Run the driver file which was downloaded before.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to install the network drivers and restart the computer.

If the issue still persists, please confirm the BIOS version of your computer.

• Click “Start”, type “msinfo32”and press enter.
  • In the “System Information” window, highlight “System Summary”, on the right hand side of the screen, there will be a field for “BIOS Version/Date”.

Please post back with the results.

750 Posts

August 21st, 2012 06:00

Hi Urban Research,

I think the system model you are referring to is OptiPlex 330, since OptiPlex 3310 is not an available model. Please confirm the system model. Also confirm if you are referring to Wireless Network Adapter or the Ethernet Adapter.

August 21st, 2012 18:00

Hi thanks for that,  I checked and this one is an Optiplex 990 and it is the Intel 82579LM network adapter that has to be disabled and enabled on start-up each time which I think is the ethernet adapter.

Any thoughts would be welcomed!

August 23rd, 2012 02:00

Hi thanks for that, seems to have solved the problem!

September 4th, 2012 22:00

Hi, we thought this had fixed the problem, but unfortunately it has come back. I have checked the BIOS and it is A07 dated 9/10/2011, does that mean anything?

Many thanks

Paul

750 Posts

September 4th, 2012 23:00

Hi Paul,

Thank you for confirming the BIOS version. Updating the BIOS should help us in further troubleshooting this issue, please follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Download and save the A10 version BIOS using the link provided below:
    http://dell.to/PHnWB7
  2. Run the O990-A10.exe file, follow the on-screen instructions to update the BIOS to version A10.
  3. Restart the computer when prompted.
  4. Download and save the A13 version BIOS using the link provided below:
    http://dell.to/OWnlg5
  5. Run the O990-A13.exe file, follow the on-screen instructions to update the BIOS to version A13.
  6. Restart the computer when prompted.

Please post with the results.

September 6th, 2012 02:00

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply, we tried this and unfortunately it didn't fix the issue. On looking it again I think the issue maybe that on start up the computer is showing 2 networks, one called unknown and the other which is the correct one being called network 2. On start up the user can see the network storage devices etc fine, but just can't access the internet without disabling and enabling the adapter.

I tried to delete the 'unknown network' but had no luck!

Any thoughts you may have would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

750 Posts

September 6th, 2012 04:00

Hi Paul,

Please confirm as to where are the 2 networks seen, is it in Network and Sharing Center?

This appears to be due to the Ethernet adapter driver again. Uninstall the Ethernet adapter drivers following the steps in previous post and restart the computer. This time let’s download the drivers from Intel website. Use the link provided below which automatically identifies and finds the Ethernet drivers:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/detect.htm

Follow the on-screen instructions and install the Ethernet adapter drivers.

Do reply with results.

September 6th, 2012 18:00

Thanks again for the reply, I tried that, but unfortunately didn't make any difference. The two networks appear in the network and sharing centre. I tried deleting both and re-connecting, the one network appeared and everything was ok. Re-booted the computer and both appeared again!

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 6th, 2012 19:00

Urban Research,

You're not using any type of network profile when using Intel ProSet wireless or any software associated with your adapter, are you?

Rick

September 6th, 2012 19:00

Hi, no network profile or  any associated software as far as I know. Just window 7 64 bit as they arrived from dell

Paul

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 7th, 2012 10:00

Paul,

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID, if using XP, run an ipconfig /all log and post it back here. Maybe it will tell us something.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 7th, 2012 11:00

Paul,

Do you have a usb network adapter to try to see if it's findings are the same?

Swap the adapter from another system?

Try a cable that is known to work?

Rick

No Events found!