Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2014 14:00

Network card upgrade ?

I am upgrading my Router to a Linksys WRT 1900AC 2.4/5Ghz. My Mothership is a XPS 8700 with a Network card 1703 2.4Ghz only. Is there a new card I can put in that covers this range and will I also need to replace the cards in all of my other Dells, notebooks,netbooks and laptopsNetwork.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 17th, 2014 15:00

Any computer like the 8700 should be close enough to the router to use the 1 GB ethernet connection. That is the fastest connection. Laptops use the wireless connections since they move around.  You can add usb adapters for wireless computers for less than $10 although AC might be more. No need to replace them at all. The old adapters will still work fine. Routers are backwards compatible.

121 Posts

October 18th, 2014 06:00

Thanks for the response, maybe I should have worded the question differently. Many devices in my home use the 2.4Ghz band I do not want to overcrowd this bandwidth, so now with a router at 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz I would like to shift some of the devices towards the 5Ghz. Without putting new duel band cards in, I see no way to use the 5Ghz bandwidth therefore I will need to use duel-band cards.  In closing will the router automatically switch the devices to the upper band when the lower band is crowded? 

No Events found!