Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2008 09:00

Network stops responding for a few minutes

Hi folks. I've had my Studio 1735 laptop for a couple of months, with Vista Home Premium installed.

Pretty much right from the start I've had problems when using IE7 to browse web pages. I'll describe the symptoms;

I can open IE7 and it loads the Dell home page as normal. I can then browse to several different websites without any issues, and I use tabs to open other websites. However after using IE7 for several minutes, any pages that are open stop loading, and hitting refresh doesn't load them. IE7 sits like this for a few minutes, and eventually all the pages (also opened in tabs) will then load when I hit refresh. It seems as though the network connection stops responding, although it does not advise that the connection has been lost, and the connection strength is still high.

I have Zone Alarm Pro and Kaspersky AV 9 installed, and the Windows Firewall is off, although Windows Defender is on.

Can anyone help with why the connection stops working?

Message Edited by messyhead on 09-26-2008 11:02 AM

12 Posts

September 27th, 2008 10:00

How are you connected to the internet? It could be that your modem is dropping the internet connection periodcally. If this happens, it'll automatically resync with the line and reconnect after a few seconds. This won't affect the network connection, so you may not notice anything aside from the pages not loading while it's reconnecting.

Next time it happens check the lights on your modem (or router, if the modem is in the router) to see of the internet connection has dropped. If it has, you might want to contact your ISP and see if they can fix the problem.

9 Posts

September 29th, 2008 08:00

I've got the Dell 1510 (802.11N) wireless card, and my router is the BT Home Hub. I've never had this problem before when I used XP, but it has existed since I got my Laptop with Vista.

I've heard that sometime the router can check the connection by sending something known as a 'heartbeat' to the laptop to check if the connection is required, and if it doesn't get a response then the connection is ended.

Could it be something like this, and if so could it be the firewall that's stopping it?

I've got Zone Alarm pro, but not sure if it fully compatible with Vista. 

I don't think it's an ISP problem as the connection has previously never had a problem. The lights on the router always show that there is an internet connection available, but they stop flashing to show that it is in use. 

9 Posts

October 1st, 2008 09:00

These problems are related to Zone Alarm Pro. I uninstalled Zone Alarm and all of the issues were resolved.

I've contacted Zonelabs about it to try and resolve. 

No Events found!