kyjungok
1 Copper

Re: New Inspiron 15 - slow wired and wireless Internet

Hi JovianPug,

Thanks very much for your post. Your method resolved the same problem of my brand new laptop Dell Inspiron 15 7000. After I disabled the "SmartByte Network Service" under "services.msc", the download speed changed from 8MB to a normal network speed 200MB.

==========

JovianPug

Hey, I just found solution, worked on my Inspirion 7570, maybe it will help you Smiley Happy
Win + R -> type in "services.msc" -> turn off SmartByte Network Service
Before this I had 6-8 Mb/s now I have 320 Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Yardienyc
1 Copper

This really worked....tried everythig else (disabling firewall, reinstalling firewall, Wireshark traces), for the past two days.  After turning off the SmartByte Network Service (plus setting startup to disabled), the download speed went from average 4.5mbs to 45mbs - like I'm paying for.

Now my kid can once again play Roblox on her own PC.

What on earth is this service anyway?  When I get two days of my life back, maybe I'll spend some time looking it up.

0 Kudos
DragonWizard93
1 Copper

@JovianPug wrote:

Hey, I just found solution, worked on my Inspirion 7570, maybe it will help you Smiley Happy
Win + R -> type in "services.msc" -> turn off SmartByte Network Service
Before this I had 6-8 Mb/s now I have 320 Smiley Very Happy

Thank you so much bro. Worked for me.

0 Kudos
CHBAK
1 Copper

This worked for me also.

Thanks for the tip.

0 Kudos
Beefesoft
1 Nickel

Thanks for the tip SmartByte.  but sadly it does not work for me, since I wiped the hard disk, clean installed Windows and did not even install SmartByte crapware. 

0 Kudos
1 Copper

OMG thanks.   Download performance was capped at about 50 Mbps, while upload was 800 Mbps + (I'm on optical fiber with gigabit Ethernet in house) prior to disabling "SmartByte Network Service " . 

Afterwards, download was no longer throttled.  Amazingly problematic default service. 

https://www.dell.com/community/Networking-Internet-Bluetooth/Beware-of-SmartByte/td-p/6130892

0 Kudos
N0vaTactix
1 Copper

Hey brother thanks a lot for this tip ive had this laptop for over a year now and i always had **bleep** internet connection and now you just fixed my problem for me
0 Kudos
Daniel_BR
1 Copper

Thanks, dude! Disabling SmartByte fixed my internet problem! The strangest thing is that my internet was working properly (I have this computer for about 3 years) and then my internet went from 100mpbs to 4.5mbps all of a sudden.
0 Kudos
JL2471
1 Copper

Same - mine was fine for almost 3 years. I have 400mbps and i would ALWAYS get 460mbps until about 3 weeks ago one day it just plummeted. One laptop dropped to 20mbps consistently, the other identical laptop dropped to 60mbps consistently. drove me nuts trying to troubleshoot my internet/router/cabling etc. I work for the internet provider that i was speed testing on, and I even had engineers and line technicians looking into what was causing it (i use these laptops to troubleshoot at customer houses)

Whatever they changed in this SmartByte thing, it cost our company a lot of money in wasted time.

0 Kudos
Timmer2005
1 Copper

Wow. Thank you, instant fix.

0 Kudos