Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2010 11:00

No ethernet controller driver, Win XP on Optiplex GX270

I installed a fresh Windows XP Pro on my Optiplex gx270 last week. Everything was fine but now I cannot get an internet connection. I followed all the steps on the dell support web site for the windows reinstall, putting all the drivers on in the correct order, all from my original resource CD. Then downloaded the new recommended driver for my service tag from the dell site, and still no ethernet controller driver is found (a yellow question mark with an exclamation mark on top in windows device manager). Tried a couple of times with the dell online chat, but was disconnected right away. Then spent another 1+ hour on the phone with dell tech support this morning. After uninstalling and reinstalling the same drivers I had previously installed, they apparently had no other suggestions and disconnected me. So I'm left with what was a pretty decent machine that is incapable of connecting to the internet. This must have happened to someone else in the past. Any ideas on what to try next? Or is it now destined for the landfill?

11 Posts

March 12th, 2010 12:00

Wow that sucks! I know you've tried this, but it would be silly of me not to include the link for the proper NIC driver for your computer, so here it is. http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R66787&SystemID=PLX_PNT_CEL_GX270&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=4159&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=&impid=&formatcnt=0&libid=5&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=86705. If you can't get the dell supplied driver to work try the intel one, here is the link http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=407&DwnldID=18717&lang=eng. If you still cant get it to work, and you want an easy way out, go buy a cheap add-in from bestbuy, local computer store, they're like 20 bucks. Let me know how it goes.

3 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I've tried both the Dell and the Intel drivers you refer to, and neither worked. For the cheap add-in, would it be a new PCI network card you'd be referring to? That would be pretty straightforward, and would take little time. I'm a little out of my league here, but is the ethernet controller integrated into the PCI card?

thanks again for your help.

11 Posts

This, or something similar would work. You just need an open pci card slot. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23174%3B+-+Desktop+10/100+PCI+Network+Card/8350802.p?id=1177112858465&skuId=8350802 20 bucks, and 15 minutes, much better than all the hassle in my opinion :)Also, make sure the computer is unplugged before you open the case. Windows should pick it right up and windows doesn't care which network card you're using, or if there are 2  installed, it will use whatever you plug the network cable into.

Good luck !

1 Message

March 17th, 2010 19:00

Hr Cooper....Do You Have Your Connection Problem Solved?>, If  You Use A Cable or Phone Connection For Your Internet,  Try Re-Installing The CONNECTION Disk That You Got When Signing Up For Service...Just A Suggestion !

3 Posts

March 18th, 2010 14:00

I did buy the new network card, which installed fine but the lack of ethernet controller still kept the system from connecting. At that point I had made a couple of trips to the store and spent way too many hours on it, with no clear idea on what else could be wrong. So I'm pillaging it for parts, and I bought a new (cheap) PC. Not a Dell this time, though.

1 Message

May 22nd, 2012 16:00

I know it's late for a response, but It may help in the future

I had the same problem today.

Try every drivers on the Dell site with no luck

I fix it by luck. I went in devise manager / network adapter and update the driver for the Ethernet controller from this folder

c:    dell   /   driver   /   r66787  /  and then win xp

then I click update driver and the internet started working

The name that now appear under network adapter is

Intel(R) pro/1000 mt network connection

1 Message

September 7th, 2012 14:00

Thank you so much for your help

I had the same exact problem and it was solved thanks to you

I am really grateful

THANK YOU

1 Message

October 12th, 2012 19:00

Buddy, you are a champion !!!

Been to websites that wanted $$$  and have spent hours trying to fix this.

Your little fix worked in seconds flat.

I owe you a beer.

1 Message

November 4th, 2012 01:00

Just to let you know... we just became best friends. after 5 hours of searching i found your post and fixed my problem thank you

1 Message

September 27th, 2014 06:00

Thanks dear

August 16th, 2021 01:00

I got a Dell GX270, and I dl'd all the main drivers Dell offers for it, including the ethernet one. I used USB drive on my main computer and then installed them on the Winxp computer.

I got the video better, so proper resolution and everything was good except ethernet. It wasn't working despite trying every driver labeled Network.

The R66787 installs and is proper, yet network adapters showed no driver. Some of these drivers seem like they install, but they want you to go into drivers section and click the setup.exe. Its like Dell/Drivers/R66787/winxp. 

1 Message

August 23rd, 2022 14:00

Buddy, I have been fighting this for a month. I am about to try your fix now, I'll let you know if I am successful but one way or another,  you seem to have made a lot of people less likely to toss their Dell out of a third floor window 

No Events found!