Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2004 20:00

Norton Ghost real mode driver for Intel Pro/100 VE network card

I'm having some problems ghosting an image to a network drive.  I think it's the network card on the new D505 that we got.  The card is an "Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection."

When I restart Norton Ghost in DOS it complains that it can't set the driver's network bindings.  I'm using the "Intel PRO 100" as my Norton network driver.  I've tried using DHCP and setting my own IP address, but both ways give me the same results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

1 Message

August 13th, 2004 05:00

Using Ghost as Peer-to-Peer in TCP mode is all about the right DOS drivers. Ghost gives you a "preset" driver config for the Intel Pro 100 NIC; try downloading the DOS driver from Intel.com (available in a ZIP file as prodos.exe), and substituting Intel's driver for Symantec's. (Ghost allows you to point the config to another driver file, but don't use the autoconfig option.) This finally worked for me.

Also, run CHKDSK on your drives before Ghosting, otherwise the sessions may (will) cr@@p out on you repeatedly. Frankly, I thought getting Ghost to run properly as a TCP ptp was such an unbelievable pain in the neck that I can't believe there's not an easier way.

Hope this helps.

best, Richard

@whleary wrote:

I'm having some problems ghosting an image to a network drive. I think it's the network card on the new D505 that we got. The card is an "Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection."

When I restart Norton Ghost in DOS it complains that it can't set the driver's network bindings. I'm using the "Intel PRO 100" as my Norton network driver. I've tried using DHCP and setting my own IP address, but both ways give me the same results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

8 Posts

August 13th, 2004 15:00

Thanks for the reply.  I figured out the problem some time after my original post, but if anyone else reads this thread here's the notes from my task list for how I solved the problem:

"The laptop didn't have a CD-R or floppy drive, which made booting into Ghost's virtual partition next to impossible.  Secondly, the Intel PRO 100 template for that NIC was wrong and I had to find an updated driver on Intel's site.  Thirdly, Ghost wouldn't change protocol.ini to use the "e100b$" driver and I had to figure that out and do it myself.

Finally, I was able to solve it two different ways:
1. Booting into the virtual edition, I edited protocol.ini and changed "$" to "e100b$".
2. I found Bart's network boot disk at bootdisk.com and customized a build for the Intel PRO 100.  As a boot floppy this worked great, but as a bootable CD it wouldn't work because the floppy needed to write to itself at certains points during the boot process.
(#2 was thanks to Franz w/ Symantec tech support, ticket #2640110.  There was no incident charge because he agreed that Ghost wasn't working as advertised.)

#1 was the best way to do it.  I don't know why Ghost doesn't write a new protocol.ini with the DOS driver listed, but it doesn't.  So beware...

-Dan

No Events found!