Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

October 1st, 2003 11:00

PLEASE HELP!!!!!! MY Windows XP Pro Internet Connection Wizard won't let me create Connection

When you get to the part in the Connection Wizard where it asks what type of connection you want to make, it only has an option for Broadband connection, the others are greyed out.  So the Dial-up Connection one can't be used.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this very annoying problem of not being able to get on the internet on my computer?

Thanks in advance.

October 1st, 2003 14:00

joeblow1234567890,

Thank you for visiting the Dell Community Forum.

This symptom often indicates that the modem is not being detected by Windows or the drivers/software for the modem are not installed. Check the Device Manager and see if the modem is properly identified and listed as working. If the modem is not installed, try installing/reinstalling the modem and see if that option becomes available in the Internet Connection Wizard.

October 2nd, 2003 10:00

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have been trying to update the driver, but for some reason it won't do it.  I'll keep trying though and email the modem company.

49 Posts

October 2nd, 2003 23:00

My suggestion is to use the registry editor... be VERY careful and don't delete or move anything other than what I post:

Start, run, regedit

Select folders in the following order:
-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
-SYSTEM
-Current Control Set
-Services
-RasMan
-PPP
-EAP
-when you get to this point, you should see 4  folders (numbered 4, 13, 25, 26)
-DELETE: folders 25 and 26
restart your computer and your old connections should be there... it sounds like someone had you run a WinXP Repair install..

5 Posts

October 31st, 2003 09:00

Help! My daughter went on my son's Dimension 4300, logged off like she usually does.  When he went to get on he cant get a connection to the modem.  (cable modem not dialup) He does a lot of gaming and she uses AIM.  Any suggestions? All wiring is plugged in.  And we've had the cable hookup for over a year.  His computer is also networked with mine and I can go on the internet so I know the modem is working ok.  Please any help would be greatly appreciated!

October 31st, 2003 21:00

are you using a router? did you add any new software to the computer which can't connect? if your ans is yes and no, you just need to turn off the computers, the router and the modem, wait for 5 mins, turn on modem first, after a minute, turn on the router and restart your computers. everything should be back to normal.

if that doesn't work, try to directly connect problem computer to modem. if still no go, contact dell tech support for help with the network card.

hope this helps!

5 Posts

November 1st, 2003 13:00

THANK YOU!! I unplugged the modem for a minute or so and then I was able to connect to the internet!! THanks again, this forum is great!

January 29th, 2004 19:00

After upgrading to XP Pro  I am unable to create a dial-up connection. Again that option is dimmed (the only one not dimmed is for establishing a broad band connection). Funny enough, a person i work with had this same problem and has never gotten it resolved.

I tried the suggestion about editing the registry (deleting folder 25,26) and this didn't work.

i tried the suggestion from the knowledge base at microsoft, also involving editing the registry (deleting telephony folder and reinstalling xp pro), and this didn't work either.

it seems ridiculous that i'm unable to use my modem with xp pro. I did this same upgrade with my husbands toshiba and that works fine. only dells seem to have this issue.

what can i do? other than reformatting my harddrive and reinstalling xp home?

Message Edited by tiredohsotired on 01-29-2004 03:25 PM

No Events found!