Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2017 16:00

PXE-E05

My Dell OptiPlex 760 had Bios A06. I went to the Dell driver site which recommended updates:

1. .....LM network driver A06 3 Gigabit as an upgrade from my .....LF network driver A06 2 Gigabit.

2. Bios upgrade to A16.

I installed both and everything seemed ok but after a week I went to the Dell website and got it to scan my computer; everything seemed ok until it checked my network adapter/card/driver and I got a message saying that this check would temporarily stop internet access- I okayed this and sure enough my internet icon displayed an exclamation mark. Then I got a message saying that the network card was not connected so it was displayed as a fault. Since this happened my ethernet network access permanently stopped and I got the PXE-E05 error but I can still get to the desktop. I tried a wireless adapter which then allowed me wireless internet access (but slower). A few days later I disconnected the wireless adapter and miraculously the wired ethernet internet access worked again-and since, although I still get the PXE-E05 error of corruption of the LAN as usual on start-up. The wireless adapter still works too but the network in 'device manager' shows only the 2 Gigabit driver. Bios is still A16 though. How do I get rid of the error message and what has been happening to my computer ?? Thanks.

9.4K Posts

August 14th, 2017 06:00

Hi Shamas1,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies your computer is not working as you expected.  Usually there's no need to update the BIOS driver unless you're having difficulties.  So, have you tried rolling back the driver to the previous one?  Normally drivers should be installed in order so skipping from A06 to A16, there may have been some updates that were missed.  http://dell.to/2vBmVad  

5 Posts

August 14th, 2017 10:00

Hi Robert-Many thanks for the quick reply. Can you tell me step-by-step how to roll back the Bios driver please ? When I initially went to the Dell driver site it didn't mention any other Bios updates to me-just A16 which was 'recommended' like the 3 Gigabit network driver. Another issue is that although I have installed the 3 Gigabit driver upgrade, my computer still only registers with the 2 Gigabit one when I look on 'device manager'-I even get the message 'Upgrade successful' (or something similar to say that the 3 Gigabit driver has been installed) whenever I re-install the 3 Gigabit upgrade -any ideas ?? I didn't know that drivers had to be installed in a particular order (!). The computer is actually working ok again via ethernet (and wi-fi) now but I still get the PXE-E05 error/corruption message when I reboot. Also, I don't know if I'm limited to 100 MB/sec with the 2 Gigabit driver ? (-I think it mentions 100MB speed when I go into the details of the driver-whereas before I think it said 10/100/1000 or something like that ?)-I now have up to 200MB/sec broadband available via ethernet,

9.4K Posts

August 15th, 2017 04:00

It looks like the only available drivers are the A15 and A16.  If it's working using the current driver, there may not be the need to change it.  Recommended is for those systems having the problems indicated in the "fixes" description.  Here's how you find the previous versions of the BIOS:  

To actually remove the error message, you will have to contact Dell Tech Support for assistance.

5 Posts

August 15th, 2017 05:00

Since the computer appears to be working well shall I keep Bios A16 then or will error (PXE-E05) on reboot disappear if I roll back to A06 ? Or can I not roll back now that A06 is no longer available ? Or shall I keep with A16 and ignore the error on reboot ? Where is the 'fixes' description ? Do you know why the 3 Gigabit network driver upgrade won't work on my computer as it appears 'stuck' on the older 2 Gigabit driver ? Many thanks Robert.

5 Posts

August 15th, 2017 07:00

I live in the UK and I'm not under warranty so I don't think they will help by either telephone or chat. So can you help ?

9.4K Posts

You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896 or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session. http://dell.to/2v4snVm

9.4K Posts

Unfortunately, I'm located in the USA and do not have access to your account in the UK.  Please try contacting tech support in your country.  Thanks.

5 Posts

August 15th, 2017 11:00

I appreciate all your advice but you don't need access to my account to answer my last questions I would have thought ?; I don't mean to be awkward and I'm not being cheeky when I say that. Or if you think it's not right to continue answering my questions unless I pay Dell as it's only fair to everyone else then please feel free to let me know. Thanks.

9.4K Posts

August 17th, 2017 06:00

Unfortunately, I'm unable to locate any more information regarding your question.  Hopefully one of the experts here on the Forum will reply or you can contact Tech Support in the UK for additional assistance.  Thanks.

December 28th, 2017 09:00

I greatly dislike canned ‘call tech support’ answers.

I fixed a 780 with the PXE-05 error about 20 minutes ago. Simply clear the CMOS and allow it to auto configure.

First you should go into the BIOS and write down all your current settings, or take pictures with your phone. (you could also use Dell command and configure to record all the settings but photos for a single machine will be faster.

Second Clear the CMOS. There is a pair of pins on the motherboard labeled RTCRST near the CMOS battery.  Shorting those pins will clear the CMOS. You can pull the PSWD1 jumper and put on the RTCRST pins. Power ON the machine, in a few seconds one of the number indicators on the front (think it was 3) will stay lit, you can then remover the jumper and put back on the PSWD1 pins

Third allow the computer to auto configure then hit F2 to get into the BIOS.  Go through the BIOS settings and put back the original settings.  I would strongly suggest that the ‘C States control is left disable on Optiplex 760 as I have experienced poor performance when it is enabled.

No Events found!