Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2010 15:00

Peernet installed with dw wlan

Well, I just installed a driver for my wireless card with my studio 1747 and with the installation, there is a software called PeerNet that also installed. I would like to know how can I remove this software as I don't want it. Also, I just reformated my computer, and before it didn't have that software with my wireless driver.

Driver name : wireless wlan 1520 half minicard v.5.60.48.18, A03

Thanks for any help

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 26th, 2011 03:00

Check this post:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m15x/550139-whats-peernet.html#post7094782

It's a peer-to-peer network utility that lets your computer connect to another directly without going through a router. It's part of the Dell WLAN driver package. Probably the best way to get rid of it is to uninstall "DW WLAN Card Utility" through Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program. Then reinstall the 1520 wireless driver through Device Manager, pointing it to folder containing the extracted driver package (probably c:\dell\drivers\R262653\R262653\Drivers_US). That should result in installing just the driver without the baggage.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 18th, 2010 13:00

goodkidz,

Make and model of your computer and opertaing system is always helpful. 32-bit or 64-bit?

When you reformatted the computer, did you use the first method, Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

or the second method, How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer?

If you started from scratch, did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not the rest of the drivers will fail to install.  How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems. If this is a Windows 7 system, and you cannot find Windows 7 drivers, did you try installing the Vista(ox XP) drivers in the  Compatibility mode?

Rick 

4 Posts

October 18th, 2010 18:00

It's a dell studio 1747 running windows 7 64 bit home prenium. I got a new HD from dell so I installed from scratch, when I came to install the drivers from the CD, most of them were installed so I thought they were all installed. It's after that that I realised that the wireless driver was missing so I got on dell.com got to support, entered my tag and downloaded the driver for the network wireless card for studio 1747. Then, when I rebooted after having installed the driver, peernet was also installed.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 18th, 2010 18:00

goodkidz,

Usually this is a sign the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers were not installed first. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Start with the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers, then install the drivers, one by one after that. The wireless card should then appear when you install the drivers.

Rick

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 24th, 2011 09:00

And... How do I remove the PeerNet from my system?

Thanks!

3 Posts

January 25th, 2011 22:00

Rick...

You are way off on this topic... this "PeerNet" was installed as part of the driver/utility for DW WLAN (wireless wlan 1501 half minicard or 1500 series it seems).  It's from Dell... 

Problem is I don't want this on my system... as I can see others dont either.  Question is can it be disabled or uninstalled?

3 Posts

January 26th, 2011 11:00

Thank you!!!  That worked like a charm!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 26th, 2011 11:00

Anthonyw00,

Sorry, I thought Peernet sounded like some type of peer to peer thing. I didn't realize it was a tool, until I read the post. It's like using an Ad-Hoc network between computers.

pepemosca,

Glad you found a solution for Anthonyw00 :emotion-21:

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!