Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2013 14:00

Please help, really lost wireless speed connection issue

Hello,

I really have tried to read through the forums to solve the issue.

Dell Inspiron 15r 5537 service tag

Bought this laptop to replace my wifes 4 year old desktop. Trying to get it set up for Christmas day.

Wireless is only connecting at 72Mbps. Desktop right next to me connecting at 144Mbps to exact same modem.

adapter is 1705 802.11b/g/n 2.4 ghz

Changed power setting to max performance on battery.

downloaded most recent driver from dell

I can not see any option for 20 or 40 htz under advanced tab. I only have long / short or long and short under the 802.11b preamble

I am at a loss for my next step. Please any sggestions.

Larry

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 12th, 2013 15:00

Larry,

This adapter works on 2.4GHz only. It should only have a 20MHz setting, if it has one.

Can you run Network Interface on this computer and post back the results.

Rick

7 Posts

December 12th, 2013 21:00

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name                   : Wi-Fi  

Description            : Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ)

GUID                   : 97fe426f-9580-410c-bb08-ba7e31c418a5

Physical address       : 64:5a:04:b1:fa:40  

State                  : connected

SSID                   : WhiteDove

BSSID                  : 68:7f:74:ad:15:a9

Network type           : Infrastructure

Radio type             : 802.11n   

Authentication         : WPA2-Personal

Cipher                 : CCMP

Connection mode        : Profile

Channel                : 11

Receive rate (Mbps)    : 72.2

Transmit rate (Mbps)   : 72.2  

Signal                 : 86%  

Profile                : WhiteDove

Hosted network status  : Not available

Here is the report, thank you for your help with this.

Larry

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 14th, 2013 14:00

Larry,

Sorry for the delay, work.

Not sure if there are settings you can tweak in the device manager. I only have settings for wireless adapters that are both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz.

My Intel WiFi 5100 AGN Connectivity Settings

Rick

7 Posts

December 15th, 2013 07:00

Nothing worked. Most of those settings do not exist or are non changeable on the wireless adapter. I also changed settings in my router, still no change.

Larry

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 15th, 2013 12:00

Larry,

WPA2-AES is supposed to be the fastest speed. You're using WPA2, maybe TKIP. You can try changing it to AES and see if you can connect. Some wireless devices cannot connect to this type of security.

If your system is under warranty, contact Dell tech Support and maybe there is a setting that was missed.

Rick

7 Posts

December 16th, 2013 19:00

Thank for your help, I checked settings on wireless adapter and I am connected to wpa2-aes already. Should be under warranty less than a week old. Problem is that getting past the language thing and they have already hung up on my twice. Sorry for long time between responses, have to work on this when wife is not home so she will not see her gift.

Larry

7 Posts

December 20th, 2013 04:00

Hello,

I really have tried to read through the forums to solve the issue.

Dell Inspiron 15r 5537 service tag

Bought this laptop to replace my wifes 4 year old desktop. Trying to get it set up for Christmas day.

Wireless is only connecting at 72Mbps. Desktop right next to me connecting at 144Mbps to exact same modem.

adapter is 1705 802.11b/g/n 2.4 ghz

Changed power setting to max performance on battery.

downloaded most recent driver from dell

I can not see any option for 20 or 40 htz under advanced tab. I only have long / short or long and short under the 802.11b preamble

I am at a loss for my next step. Please any sggestions.

Larry

not to worry about that.. once you set 20/40MHz your wifi speed should between 72 to 150mbps.. due to interference from other/neighbour  wifi signal .

your router is auto switch between 20mhz=72mbps   40MHz=150mbps  

or change other channel.. 1,6,11

7 Posts

December 20th, 2013 15:00

Sorry for the delay, have to work on this when wife is not home. Nothing has worked, changed settings in router to no change. No options on wireless card for for 20 or 40 htz.

My wifes desktop computer connects wirelessly to the same router. It is 3 years old and connects at 144 Mbs. Twice the speed of this laptop. I wanted to get her this laptop to replace her desktop computer.

So far to date, have had dell hang up on me twice. Once told well its connecting to the internet so there is nothing I can do. Fourth time spent a hour on phone all tech support did was run remote diagnostic tools. Never once checked any settings for wireless card or any network settings. I sat here and watched him. Once again was told there was nothing they could do.

This is the worst customer service / tech support I have ever encountered. There is no way I can return or exchange this brick before Christmas. Thanks Dell for taking that joy from me of giving my wife a great laptop on Christmas day. If this does not get resolved I will be getting a refund after Christmas and going to a different company. I will spend the rest of my time telling everyone I can about my treatment from dell and their total lack of any tech support for their products.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 21st, 2013 03:00

Larry,

Sorry for the delay, work.

Did you recently install any Windows Updates?

KB2903939 and KB2907595

What version of Internet Explorer is installed?

Rick

7 Posts

December 21st, 2013 13:00

checked my update history, I do not have either of those two updates. Using Explorer 10.

by the way, Thank you Rick for taking the time to try and help me.

Larry

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2013 14:00

Larry,

I don't have a lot of information on this adapter.

You can try...

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then select your operating system. Under Network, download and install the latest drivers.

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your network adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

If this doesn't help, then I would contact Dell Tech Support. They may have settings that I may not know exsist.

Rick

7 Posts

December 22nd, 2013 16:00

Hello Rick,

I have already done these steps. Have been in contact with Dell a few times. Their final answer to me was "It is connecting to the internet. That is all we can do for you. We can not do anything about the speed it connects at."

Larry

1 Message

August 6th, 2015 02:00

I'm posting this for anyone else that has this same problem. I recently bought a Dell Inspirion-3647. The wireless network card is Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ). I also bought a netgear N900 WLS Dual Band Gigabyte router which advertised up to 450mbps wireless speed. Well, I too was only getting 72.2 speed max on the card, and even slower when connected to my cable company: 32mpbs download. I called Dell Support and they said the problem was that the Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ) was a single band WLAN and I needed to upgrade to a Dual Band Wireless. That's what the tech said. 

Cheers

1 Message

January 25th, 2016 12:00

Same issue here. Dell 1705 2.4GHz working at maximum 72.2 Mbps while other cards work faster.

No 20-40 settings probably means that it is nothing to choose from, only 20. Unfortunately in 5 days my warranty expires. I'll probably look online and buy a 5GHz network card.

No Events found!