Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2008 21:00

Problems with WWAN 5530 in a XPS M1330 - device not detected

I was using a Dell WWAN 5520 for months in my XPS M1330 with Vista 32 SP1. The 5520 worked fine, but the software application (dell mobile broadband card utility) was quite buggy. Due to this and the fact, that Dell isn´t willing to release the firmware upgrade for the 5520 for HSDPA 7,2 Mbs i decided to upgrade to a Dell WWAN 5530.

After some installation problems now the 5530 is running, GPS is working too.

But there is an annoying problem: After hibernation mode the 5530 will not be detected again and there is no way but rebooting to get the card working again ;(

The three entries on the device manager for the 5530 are missing after starting from hibernation. But i don´t think that this problem is caused by a driver or OS problem because of this:

When I go to BIOS menu after starting from hibernation there is "none" shown under "device info" - "cellular device". Already the bios doesn´t recognize the 5530, all the more Vista won´t do. After restarting the machine the 5530 is detected by the BIOS again. Standby-mode is no problem for the 5530 too.

"Cellular device" in the "Wireless" menu of the BIOS is enabled all the time of course.

Resetting the BIOS setting to default after starting from hibernation lets appear the "cellular device" as "installed" again. But it´s no solution for me to reset the BIOS every time after starting from hibernation...

I tried to solve this issue with BIOS A14, A12 an A11. No success. With BIOS A11 the 5530 is not detected at all.

Currently I am back at BIOS A10.

Has anyone ideas oder a solution for this problem?

TIA

25 Posts

December 25th, 2008 22:00

No ideas?

1 Message

January 19th, 2009 11:00

There is alreadz the version of BIOS A15. Let's give a try. I didn't succeed.

Michal

10 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 08:00

I was looking at the lenovo site for an alternate driver for the 5530 and noticed that there was a Microsoft Vista patch available to solve  the problem where the card would have a yellow exclamation point when returning from sleep or hibernate.  Maybe it's related?

Brett

5 Posts

January 25th, 2009 18:00

Hi,

I'm having a very similar problem - do you have a link to the MS knowledgebase article/patch download?

Thanks,

James.

25 Posts

January 26th, 2009 14:00

I have a solution for you:

Go to BIOS menu (hit F2 several times when the DELL-Screen appears) an then to "POST behaviour" - "boot mode" and select "thorough", then leave BIOS with "Save & Exit".

The Dell 5530 will work now after hibernation too.

Disadvantage: The BIOS-Screen will now appear for one minute or longer until the BIOS check is ready. But just hit "Esc" when the status bar stagnates, and you´ll leave the BIOS-Screen almost quick as before.

But Dell should work at this problem. Neither the 5520 nor the 5530 working proper with several Dell systems. It´s a shame in consideration of the prices of the cards...

7 Posts

February 15th, 2009 08:00

Hi,

Is it actually a Dell 5530 card or some generic version that you bought on the net somewhere?

I know somene who bought a generic version of the Dell 5520 (i.e. the Expedite EU870D) which wouldn't get detected at a cold boot after they updated to the 7.2Mbps firmware upgrade. The solution was to re-flash the WWAN card with the Dell firmware. Since then it seems to be working fine....

25 Posts

February 16th, 2009 16:00

It´s a Dell 5530 card.

7 Posts

February 17th, 2009 03:00

Well if the 5520 card worked fine then it's not a fault with the laptop.

Try flash the 5530 card with the latest firmware - if that doesn't work then try the card in a laptop that it was intended for. You could also try another 5530 card in your laptop. It might just be that 5530 card isn't compatible with the XPS M1330. As you already know, Dell try to prevent you using it by blocking the driver installer.

Other options might be to upgrade the 5520 card to 7.2Mbps (not that you will realise that speed anyway) and set the card to "ndis" mode. That way you can avoid using Dell's BB utility.

25 Posts

February 19th, 2009 02:00

I talked several times to the Dell support. The 5530 is compatible with the XPS M 1330.

My 5530 has the Modem Version R1B/1. At the Dell support website i can´t find any firmware for the 5530.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18784 is interesting too... I am using an Intel 4965 Wi-Fi Card.

7 Posts

February 19th, 2009 05:00

Well if that doesn't work for you, let me know if you want to switch back to the 5520 because I can give you the 7.2Mbps firmware for the 5520. The 5520 also has GPS, you just need to turn on the registry key for it in regedit.exe .

25 Posts

March 5th, 2009 15:00

Today i flashed BIOS from A10 to the latest A15 - no success...

@keithod: I used the 5520 before - with activated GPS. I wont go back to the 5520, there were some issues with my provider. I can use two mobile networks (national roaming) and the 5520 had problems to manage this. Also HSUPA is missing and no one confirmed, that the 5520 works with 7,2 Mb HSDPA after the update (it´s only a update for the generic Novatel EU870D).

BTW: I heard, that the 5520 ist unable to find GPS satellites after updating to 7,2 Mb HSDPA. So be careful....

If anyone has a clue what could be the problem with my 5530 please post.

7 Posts

March 20th, 2009 09:00

Hi Uber,

I'm assuming the 7.2Mbps upgrade said successfully upgraded for you.

Start up your laptop and after Windows loads reboot it (don't shutdown, choose reboot). With some luck this will get your card detected and you be able to re-apply the old firmware. The card got detected for the person I was talking about after a warm boot.

If that doesn't work, then go to BIOS settings and turn off quick boot. This will cause your laptop to take over 5 minutes just to boot but you can switch fast boot on afterwards. If that doesn't get your card detected then I'm afraid you might have destroyed the card.

If you need more help just ask

Best of luck,

Keith

1 Message

Hi,

Is it actually a Dell 5530 card or some generic version that you bought on the net somewhere?

I know somene who bought a generic version of the Dell 5520 (i.e. the Expedite EU870D) which wouldn't get detected at a cold boot after they updated to the 7.2Mbps firmware upgrade. The solution was to re-flash the WWAN card with the Dell firmware. Since then it seems to be working fine....

Hi Keith(od),

Do you know how that "someone" was able to do that? I have exactly the same problem, but I am no longer able to detect the card to apply the re-flash - I just get a communications port error.

Many thanks,

Uber

7 Posts

I forgot to mention that you should also make sure that any applications that are using the card are closed before you try to do the upgrade!!

7 Posts

May 11th, 2009 19:00

Has anyone successfulled used the 5520 at 7.2mbps?

I upgraded the firmware and things just got weird.  BIOS refused to see that the hard was installed.  I tried multiple versions of the utility software.

I was finally able to apply the Vodaphone firmware for the 5520 and even after the update the card still identified itself as a Cingular 5520 which was good.  And the card seems to work like it used to work.

Also,  has anyone used the AT&T Communication Manager Software with the 5520?  AT&T now offers free AT&T WiFi to their mobile boardband customers, but I'm guessing the AT&T software is required for that to function.  That and the Dell software is poor.

I seem to recall that I paid a pretty penny for the 5520 (no activation discount because I already had activated service).  I'm disappointed that Dell doesn't bother to offer an official 7.2mbps upgrade.  Wish we knew the person at Dell that works with this.

Also of note, the 5520 is connected through a USB bridge, which is kind of annoying.  When resuming the compute from suspend/hibernate, to does take the device a while to intialize.

I've also experienced issues where the 5520 stops working after several hours or more of us.  Rebooting doesn't resolve.  Full system powerdown does resolve.  Anyone else experienced that?

No Events found!