Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 25th, 2015 16:00

Questions about upgrading to Intel Dual Band AC 7260

I have an XPS 8700 with a Dell DW1704 wireless adapter running Win 7 x64.  I'd like to update to the Intel Dual Band AC 7260 with BT and have the following questions.

1. Do I need to uninstall the Dell DW WLAN Card Utility prior to installing the 7260 drivers or can I leave the program on my computer?  I'm not sure if the utility is part of the drivers for the old adapter or if it's a separate program.

2. I can not find any Dell drivers compatible with Win 7 x64 for the 7260 adapter.  Is it ok to use the latest Intel drivers instead?

1 Message

April 2nd, 2017 16:00

I had an Inspiron I5 3000 #3543 with a Dell DW1704. I like to buy an AC 7260 but there are different

AC 7260. Would you please specify which AC 7260 that you had buy and it works.

Thank You,

1.8K Posts

July 27th, 2015 15:00

Hello,

You don't have to remove the utility, and it is part of the driver install package. but if you have any issues with the Intel card it would be one of the first things I would recommend doing.  It probably is a good idea to do it just in case.  The Intel Proset software should supercede the Dell software when it installs, but you never really know. I, personally, would remove that software.  

Yes, you shouldn't have any problems using the drivers directly off the Intel site.  For some customers who have recently had issues with their Intel cards I was sending them directly to the Intel download website to get the drivers, without any problems.

Let us know if you have any other questions.  

Todd

22 Posts

July 27th, 2015 19:00

Tod,

Thanks for your reply.  I did use the Intel Proset drivers and the install went fine with both WIFI and BT working with the new adapter.  I did encounter 2 incidents where the DW WLAN utility stopped working (I didn't see your reply when I did the changeover, so I left the original Dell utility in place), so I uninstalled it today.  Everything is working well with one minor exception.  The WIFI icon in the tray is a generic looking set of bars rather than the expected Proset icon.  It looks like Windows 7 is controlling the WIFI rather than the Proset configuration utility and I'm unsure how to change this. Got any suggestions?

1.8K Posts

July 28th, 2015 12:00

Hi,

It actually took me a few minutes to find this.   There is a setting inside the Intel ProSet that allows you to use Windows or Intel to control your wireless connections.  Here is a quick guide to turning OFF Intel and using Windows, but the idea should be the same to turn on Intel. 

Todd

1 Message

August 2nd, 2015 19:00

Todd,

I have a late 2012 XPS 12. I recently got an iPhone 6 and notice that my bandwidth was much faster. So I ordered an Intel dual-band 7260 module and my son put it in my good laptop, downloaded the Intel driver, and we thought all was OK. Two issues: Bluetooth does not work, even though my mouse and keyboard say they are paired with the XPS. Secondly, while WiFi is working, it is not faster than before with the Centrino WiFi/BT module original to the machine.

Should we just keep trying to find the right software that will enable the 7260, hopefully with some guidance from you where to find it. Or, should I take out the new 7260 module and put the old Centrino 6235 module back in the Dell XPS?

Many thanks for whatever advice you can offer.

3 Posts

December 11th, 2018 08:00

deleted

No Events found!