Highlighted
Disneynuts
1 Copper

Studio 1555 with Windows 7 won't connect to Wireless!

I just got a brand new Studio 1555 laptop with Windows 7 preinstalled. My desktop PC is an older Dell, running XP, and I use a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G2). We have another Dell laptop, an Inspiron running Vista, that has no problem connecting to the wireless internet. But the new Studio, it shows our wireless in the "connections available" box, with full signal strength, but no matter how I try it won't actually connect, just says "Windows is unable to connect to this network". I did try connecting with the cable, that worked fine, so it's only the wireless. I did notice that while my desktop shows the router as being set up as WPA_TKIP_OR_AES, the laptop is "seeing" it as WPA2_PERS. Would that be affecting anything? I've tried manually adding the network to the laptop, and resetting the router. Router has the most up to date upgrades and firmware I could find. No luck. Help?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PudgyOne
6 Indium

Re: Studio 1555 with Windows 7 won't connect to Wireless!

Disneynuts,

I would try changing the wireless router to use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. I would change the SSID to make connecting easier. Please remember if using a wireless printer or print server, these wireless devices will need to be setup to conect to the new network.

Rick 

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
Travis299
2 Iron

You may have already checked this but I believe that there is a switch on the right front edge of the laptop that must be on for the wireless to work.

0 Kudos
Travis299
2 Iron

My bad as the switch is on the Inspiron laptop.  I believe that the 1555 uses a function key for this, F2..

0 Kudos