Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 4th, 2006 13:00

Trying to add a Dell Inspiron B130 laptop to my home wireless net.

I have a working wireless network with a USR 8054 router/access point hooked to cable modem and desktop connected through ethernet. A computer downstairs using a wireless card (USR). They work fine. But when I try to connect my B130 laptop, it sees a good signal, but cannot connect. I changed downstairs computer to ad-hoc and the laptop to same, and it worked. How can I make the laptop work with infrastructure mode? I've tried with and w/o incription, mac, etc.
Is there any hope?

28K Posts

August 4th, 2006 13:00

To help troubleshoot this problem, go to Start > Run and type cmd then click OK. In the command prompt window that opens, type ipconfig /all then hit the enter key. Write down the output from this command or select it and save it to a txt file, then copy this output into a reply to this message.

Steve

5 Posts

August 4th, 2006 14:00

My ipconfig/all is as follows (from the laptop):

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Debbie>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Debbie

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled . . . . . .. . . . . . . . .: No

WINS Proxy Enabled . . . . . . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Descriptoion . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Physical Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 00-14-22-AB-76-50

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card

Physical Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-94-66-D8

1.8K Posts

August 4th, 2006 15:00

Is the physical address for the wireless card showing up in the router's config utility? Are your settings security encrypted? Are they identical for both laptop and router?

28K Posts

August 4th, 2006 16:00

MikeDH,

Have you tried using the Fn F2 key combination to toggle the wireless radio on and off?  Do you get an internet connection if you temporarily try connecting through the ethernet adapter?   You might want to keep the network in the simplest state possible until you get this problem solved (i.e. turn encryption off, turn MAC address filtering off, and make sure the router is broadcasting its SSID.

Steve

5 Posts

August 4th, 2006 17:00

In my router config the wireless adapter mac address has been input and is still there, but nothing shows in the area showing the computers connected. I have turned off all encryption and filtering. And, yes, the router is set up to broadcast. I can see a network on the laptop with the proper ssid, but it just won't connect. I have connected the ethernet cable and all works fine that way. I can see the radio turn on and off with fn/f2 keys. The wireless card must be transmitting a good signal, because I could see it strong on the other computer in ad-hoc mode.

I sure appreciate your replies trying to help.

Mike

28K Posts

August 4th, 2006 17:00

Are you absolutely, 100%, without any doubt whatsover certain that the correct MAC address has been input into the table of allowed MAC addresses on your router?

Steve

28K Posts

August 4th, 2006 19:00

Nevertheless, temporarily disable MAC address filtering until we get this problem fixed. 

Steve

5 Posts

I have everything disabled at this time.

5 Posts

Yes, I have re-double checked and it is all correct. According to the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility, the network mac address is the one shown for LAN in my router setup.

Mike

28K Posts

August 4th, 2006 20:00

Try going into Device Manager, removing the wireless card, then rebooting and reinstalling the wireless card.   The drivers can be downloaded from:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R115321&SystemID=INSPIRON1300/B130&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=8911&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=6&formatcnt=1&libid=5&fileid=152055

Steve

4 Posts

August 5th, 2006 20:00

ok fine

4 Posts

Steve when you get through here I could use some help.
"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection"?

I too am using a B-130 with the Dell wireless card built in.
I can connect to wireless connections across the street but not to the Netgear one in this room?

Most frustrating.
Setup wizard wants me to use a usb drive for setting up a network, windows cannot configure this wireless connection.

I know I am being a bit vague, been at this all day and I am about fed up for now. My email is bdan56@sbcglobal.net

Maybe in a day or two if you want and if you have the time perhaps we can discuss this, for now and this weekend I think I will just take a freaking break, :-)

tia
booker

28K Posts

bdan,

If you want help with your problem, start your own thread.  It is very difficult to help more than one person in the same thread and it gets very confusing.

Steve

No Events found!