Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

October 19th, 2006 03:00

Unable to connect to internet

I have a problem with my internet connection; simply I am unable to connect to the internet. Under the device manager, says that there is nothing wrong with the hardware. I did perform all the standard fixes, such as turning off the computer and modem for 5 minutes. I know the problem does not lay with the modem or the router because I am able to connect to the internet connected to the modem or the router. Now, my question is could this be a malware problem, or is this a hardware problem? I am asking for help on another form for malware problems. If this was a hardware problem, wouldn’t it come up on the device manager, and what can be done to correct this problem?
Thank You
JPerry2006

28K Posts

Your question doesn't make sense.  First you say:

"I am unable to connect to the internet",

then you say:

"I know the problem does not lay with the modem or the router because I am able to connect to the internet connected to the modem or the router". 

When can't you connect to the internet?  Please clarify.

Steve

Sorry, I must have been typing faster then thinking, I have two other computers, which I am able to connect to the internet though!

28K Posts

October 19th, 2006 04:00

So are you saying that you have three computers, two of which can connect to the internet through both the modem and router and one which cannot connect to the internet?  Furthermore, you suspect that you have spyware/malware on the computer that cannot connect?  You really need to clear up the spyware/malware problem, as that is a strong possiblity of why you cannot connect.  Once the spyware/malware is gone, you may need to run winsockfix for Windows XP from the Here.

Steve

October 19th, 2006 04:00

Yes this is correct I have three computers 2 of which can connect via wired and wireless. I do belive it is a malware problem because of the fact that that the computer is slow and acting odd. I am using anothere forum for help with malware, which can take up to five days for a reply. I guess my next course as far as this forum goes is to wait until the malware problem has been resolved or disregarded as a problem. I will reply then. Would you prefer me to reply to this post at that time or start a new post? Thank You for your help!

JPerry

28K Posts

October 19th, 2006 05:00

Reply to this post, then we won't have to start all over.

Steve

6 Posts

October 19th, 2006 11:00

Did you log in to your router's login screen to verify that your settings recognize the third computer's networking device?  I only ask because your post makes it sound like the problem has nothing to do with the computer rather your router.  When I add a new computer to my network, I have to go into my netgear's (my router) login screen and tell it the mac address of the device I am attaching.  If I don't do this then the router blocks that device because it sees it as an intruder trying to gain access into my system.

October 19th, 2006 15:00

Yes I did that, and I know that the problem lays with the computer becuase when I connect the computer to the modem directly the problem remains, I think it is a problem with malware. I am still geting help with that so we will see. Thanks for your help

Jperry2006

October 21st, 2006 19:00

Update:
These are all the steps that I have done, no have restored my internet connection
1. Find and eliminated all malware
2. Connected Laptop to router to ensure that it works, it does
3. Connected problem computer directly to modem
4. Connected Laptop to modem to ensure it works, it does
5. Purchased a new CAT5e cable
6. Did steps 2-4 again
7. Purchased a Cat6 cable
8. Did steps 2-4 again
9. Downloaded and used winsockfix
10. Rebooted in Safe mode with networking
11. Via laptop downloaded newest driver, transferred to problem computer via flash drive and installed the driver
12. In the same manner as step 11 downloaded and installed “Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB884020)”
13. Disconnected DSL modem from all three cables
a. Via Network connections disabled LAN connection
b. Reset the DCHP Client
c. Shut downed computer
d. Reconnected all three cable of DSL modem
e. Allowed internet light and DSL light to come on fully
f. Restarted computer and reactivated LAN connection
14. By means of Device Manager reduced link speed to 10 Mbps/ Half Duplex
a. NOTE: At this point limited internet access is available, I am able to download virus definitions, however I am still unable to go on to internet explorer
b. NOTE: When on anything higher then 10 Mbps/ Full Duplex the Ethernet light that correlates with the problem computer blinks, as if it is trying to connect or find the NIC. When at or less then 10 Mbps/ Full Duplex, that same light becomes solid
c. NOTE: It is not a problem with the router or modem, this problem does not arise when connect via Ethernet to my laptop
d. NOTE: Before OS loads the same light blinks, when OS loads and persuadably before the modified speed limit is applied, then the light becomes solid. Before this problem arose the light would become solid as soon as the power button on the computer was turned on.
15. Uninstalled the the network adapter, restarted computer and reinstalled network adapter, then reinstalled newest drivers.

Unless I am mistaken this can not be due to an OS corruption because the problem arises before Windows XP loads.
Do I need a NIC card? I am still under warranty under Dell, is a new NIC card covered under that warranty? If I decided to install the NIC card myself, which I can do, would this violate warranty? Is there anything else I can try to correct the problem outside replacing NIC Card?
I hope I stated everything clearly and with precision, please tell me if you need clarification.

Thank You for your help,
JPerry 2006

Message Edited by JPerry2006 on 10-21-2006 06:06 PM

28K Posts

October 21st, 2006 22:00

If this is a desktop computer, a valid troubleshooting step, that may save you a lot of aggravation in the long run, would be to purchase and install a PCI ethernet adapter.   You can find these for less than $10 at most electronics stores, so the troubleshooting step is also cheap.  It will not void your warranty if you do this.  

Steve

October 21st, 2006 23:00

Sorry I'm a bit of an n00b :(

Is a PCI ethernet adapter = NIC Card?

Thank You So Much!

28K Posts

Either will work.  Just get a cheap one.  They all work the same and you are just troubleshooting.

Steve

Thank You,
Finally, when I was looking for a NIC Card, some are PCI 2.1 Bus and others PCI 2.2 Bus. I have a
Intel P4 3.40 Ghz FSB 800mhz Processor
HD 250 GB
Memory 1 Gb

Which PCI Bus can I use?
Do You recom. any NIC Cards or manufacturers?

Thank You,again SOOOO Much!

(I won't bother you again) lol!

28K Posts

Is a PCI ethernet adapter = NIC Card?  Yes

Steve

October 25th, 2006 21:00

to eliminate malware from the point of failure, it will be much better to format the HDD and install a new copy of windows...

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2013 18:00

what cam i do

No Events found!