Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2015 05:00

Unable to connect to wireless networks

Hi,

I have a Latitude 3540 (Late 2013) that has difficulty connecting to wireless networks.  It can connect to a "normal" wireless ok (enter key, hit ok) but on open wireless hotspots, such as in a hotel, that redirect you to a website to log in, it will not work.

What I expect to see is a dialogue box in the bottom right hand cornet of the screen telling me that I need to enter info, which then opens up a browser to allow me to do so or I expect it to do nothing, but when I open my browser and try to go to a page I expect it to redirect me to the log in page then.

This laptop does neither.  when I open a browser it just tells me that it cannot connect to the website I have requested.

I have seen suggestions that this is a common fault with some dell laptops and it was suggested that browsing to the default gateway on the network that I am trying to connect to would be a work round, but I have tried this and it does not work.

Any ideas?  is there a patch for this?

Thanks

Cosma

10 Posts

March 18th, 2015 11:00

Having tried everything you suggested and more I eventually uninstalled all the network devices and drivers. Update the OS and the bios (rebooting between each exercise) and then installed the network drivers fresh from the Dell website.

I had actually done all this before (except the part where I deleted all the network drivers and rebooted repeatedly)  but this time it seems ta have taken and now works ok.

I am guessing that the drivers on the machine were damaged and so every time I removed them they auto reinstalled.

Hay Ho.  Job done.

1.8K Posts

March 18th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

Those hotspots should, as you said, be redirecting you to a log in page.  I would think that if those pages are not loading, or if they are popups, then not showing up at all, that would be a function of the browser you are using.   Have you checked the security settings of your browser to make sure it's allowing redirects to that domain login?    And if the hotspot is supposed to open a popup, that popups are allowed.

There shouldn't be anything inherent in the hardware of a Latitude that blocks hotspot logins.  That would all be controlled by software that is installed on the system. Especially because, as you said, the wireless card in the system connects to secure networks already without a problem.

Have you tried using a different browser to connect to a hotspot than what you normally use?  Maybe that would have better luck.  If multiple browsers won't connect then check the security settings in Windows itself.

I hope this helps.  Please come back and let us know if different browsers will work, what security software you are running on the system, and which version of Windows that you have installed.

Thanks,

Todd

1 Message

March 18th, 2015 12:00

Hi Todd,

My brand new Dell Latitude E5450 is having the exact same issue.  I cannot connect to any hotspots.  I tried using alternate browsers as well as trying to re-route using a non https: address.  I have had zero luck with any of them.  My friend's Apple computer was able to log on just fine and I was stuck with error messages "Invalid IP configuration". Tried restarting and zilch.

I have a Windows 7Pro edition on an SSD  model.  This is the first laptop I've owned that has ever had issues like this and it is pretty concerning because I am a student and need the use of wifi hotspots for studying.

What do you suggest that I try next?

Sarah

1.8K Posts

March 18th, 2015 13:00

Sarah,

What I would suggest, assuming you've checked all your security settings, is to to into "Manage Wireless Networks" (in Windows) and see if there is a wireless network connection in existence for that (those) hot spots.  Delete them if there are.   Then try to reconnect and see if Windows is able to connect using a brand new wireless profile for that particular connection.

You may need to delete all the wireless networks in order to clear whatever is blocking your connection.  I hope you don't, so don't do that as your first option.  

Here is a link to managing wireless connections / profiles in Windows for your reference.

Todd

No Events found!