Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

February 25th, 2016 14:00

Unidentified Network XPS 8700 Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

I have owned this XPS 8700 desktop for over two years and don't think the ethernet connection ever worked.  I've always used the wireless connection.  Today I decided to try to get it going with no luck.  I have search this forum and elsewhere with no luck.  I have tried resetting the "winsock" and two other things that were suggested - no help.  I deleted the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller and rebooted - no help.  I tried plugging into a different router and rebooted - no help.  Tried updating but it says I have the newest driver (8.1.510.2013).  Green and yellow lights are ON at the ethernet connection.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Please keep as simple as possible for this frustrated 68 year old.

1.8K Posts

February 26th, 2016 09:00

Hi,

I'm assuming that you're running Windows 8.1 on that system, is that correct?    The driver version that you list doesn't correspond with any of the driver versions we have available for download, for the XPS 8700 network card.   Did you get that driver from a site other than Dell?

Here is a link to the Realtek 8111E Network Driver Version 8.018, A00, which is the network driver you should use if you have Windows 8.1.  (If you have a different version of Windows on that system please let me know)

I would recommend you do two things.

First, delete all current driver listings for your Realtek network card in Device Manager.  

Second, delete all wired network profiles for your wired connection (not wireless) 

Your thread title about "Unidentified Network" makes it sound like Windows "sees" the network card, is trying to access the network but there is an issue with the software configuration of the network, so it's unable to connect / get out to the internet.  Hopefully clearing those wired "profiles" out will help. The profiles are basically just a list of the connection protocols and clearing them out will allow Windows to then rebuild them correctly. 

Here is a video on Windows 8.1 How to fix "Unidentified network/Ethernet limited" errors.  I don't know much about that video but it has over 100,000 views so hopefully it will help walk you through the problems that you're seeing.

In order to help me better troubleshoot this issue please right click on my Dell Todd username and send me a private message with the Dell Service Tag of your XPS 8700.  Please keep all discussions here in this public thread so that others can see what is discussed.

Thank you,

Todd

4 Posts

February 26th, 2016 14:00

Yes, Win 8.1.

The driver is what came with the machine.

I will be trying your suggestions later tonight.

Thanks.

4 Posts

February 28th, 2016 06:00

Hurrah, it's working.  Here are the steps I took.

Downloaded driver, XPS-8700_Network_Driver_78K1K_WN_8.018_A00.

Deleted current Realtek network card driver in Device Manager.

Looked for but could not find wired network profiles to delete.  Guessing because I had deleted the driver and then the network card no longer showed up.

Installed new driver.

Opened Network and Sharing Center and it now shows Ethernet as Public network.

Wifi is not connected.

Thanks for the help.

No Events found!