Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2016 01:00

Very slow internet browsing on brand new XPS 13 9360 over Wifi.

Problem
After receiving my brand new XPS 13 I noticed the internet browsing was very slow at times over my Wifi connection. Expecially with web pages that pull in a lot of contact using ajex calls after the initial page load.
There was nothing wrong with the Wifi signal or the internet connection itself since other devices showed a good internet speed. Also, downloading files over Wifi was good.

Fix
After installing all the latest drivers I finally fixed the issue by disabling the QOS packet sheduler option on the Wireless network adapter. Finally the browsing experience returned back to normal.

Question
While this fix works for me I wonder if this is the recommended fix or if there are any other better solutions.

5 Posts

November 19th, 2016 00:00

Have messaged you my details in the hope you can help !

5 Posts

November 20th, 2016 14:00

my new 9360 also has terrible wifi. It seems to have a strong connection, but just drops packets a great deal. I am currently tethering through my phone which works super well on this wifi connection.

Please don't just send help by private message we all need to see the results. 

I understand that these wifi issues were present in last years model, it is very disappointing that they have not been addressed in this premium laptop!

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2016 09:00

Thanks for sending the information, guys! Let me look into this further and see if I can find anything. 

If you notice anything else please update me.

Best regards,

Brad

November 22nd, 2016 23:00

Hi. Similar problems. It is like browser lag. 

(9360, i7, 16 gb, 512, win10, xps13. Killer wireless1535)

Especially after sleep. (after restart, browsing speed improves sometimes / for some time). Torrents are working normal ( up to 12 mbps via wifi but maybe i tried when it was OK)

What i noticed and what i tried:

1. Downloading fresh drivers from dell (not updating from device manager). And installing helped. But not always.
  2. Disabling Qos Packet Scheduler help a little. But not always.
  3. Disabling intel SpeedStep (bios) helped a little. Not always. But this was one of best improvements.
  4. Deleting OneDrive and oneNote didn't help.
  5. Sometimes switching to slower freq. router helps (dual band router. Switching from 5mhz to 2,4 ).
  6. At work is slower router with speed & other limits. Works better.
  7. Firefex works better than chrome. Chrome Jitters and stuck sometimes. 
  8. For now it is a little better, after all improvements, but sometimes still lags a lot. (bigger sites, even google maps, youtube or facebook)

I think i fixed. There was something wrong on battery. After aplying all those fixes (and even more) i noticed that wifi is poor when i'm not charging. (so in the office was quite normal, because it alaways have AC cable in.

So i had to unlock (regedit change value to unlok power options (network adapters power options and power saving plans) ant make changes without power saving. Ant now i think everything is quite good!

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

November 23rd, 2016 23:00

Thanks again to everyone for sending me info on their systems. I am going to be out of the office until Monday, but wanted to post this before I was out. 

On this thread (from the users that have sent me their system info) it looks like everyone has the Killer Wireless 1535 card (if you do not, please PM me your info). This is a bit outside of what I have seen recommended so far and if you have already tried these steps please let me know. Also, before trying this please make sure to have the original Dell issued drivers handy in case you need to reinstall them, here is the direct link (for the older drivers) but you can also enter your Service Tag on the Dell support site to download them there as well. Please note that the fix we will be trying will not be using this driver, but this is just in case you need to revert back.

Here are the steps to try:

1. Download the latest Killer Driver Suite direct from the manufacturer's site at this link.** 
  2. Uninstall the Killer LAN / Wireless software from Programs and Features.
  3. Uninstall the LAN / Killer 1535 driver from the Device Manager (it should be listed under network adapters).
  4. Restart the system.
  5. Install the downloaded driver (remember to try the one downloaded from step 1 first!)
  6. Go to Device Manager
  7. Look for the Killer Wireless Card 
  8. Right Click and go to Properties
  9. Click on the Advanced tab
  10. Select Wireless Mode and change it to 08-11a/b/g/n

Click Ok, and then test the wireless connection after it reconnects wirelessly (you can try doing a system restart but it should connect just fine). I would recommend testing the card how you were previously to see if anything has changed (faster/more reliable connection etc.).

If after these steps the wireless is still underperforming, then go ahead and repeat step 2, 3 and 4, but this time instead of reinstalling the new driver and suite software try to let windows find the driver on its own (after the system restart). You might need to go to Device Manager and try to force the system to search for the driver. I would like to see if by not having the suite software installed if it changes any of the wifi performance.

Please let me know how this goes, and good luck. I am hoping this corrects some of the issues! 

Best regards,

Brad

**If this newer driver suite does not work, then use this one (before going back to the Dell Driver). If for some reason these newer drivers do not want to install, go ahead and try steps 2-4 with just the Dell Driver and not Software Suite. I am thinking there might be a conflict being created with the software suite, but this is just a thought and something I would recommend testing.

7 Posts

November 25th, 2016 19:00

tried all that.  Wiped the laptop and reinstalled windows 10 from scratch with MS drivers only.  installed killer software.  Nothing is helping at all.

5 Posts

November 27th, 2016 13:00

Please tell me details about what registry changes and network adapter changes you had made to help with this issue.  Not clear what you had done.

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

November 30th, 2016 15:00

Thanks for the updates, I am sorry to hear that it didn't help. I am going to see if I can find anything else that we can try. One other thing to add is that after trying my steps make sure to uncheck the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", this can be found under the Power Management tab in Device Manager under "Properties" for the WiFi card. I figured it was worth a shot, especially if the software suite was removed.

Let me know if anything else has changed.

I am also curious on these regedits, I have not heard of this but would be interested in hearing about them.

Best regards,

Brad 

1 Message

December 2nd, 2016 12:00

Hi everyone -- I have had a new Dell XPS13 on order since Nov 20, and it is on hold indefinitely due to a wifi connectivity issue.  Wonder if it's the same one that is causing everyone here problems.....

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2016 22:00

I got my new 9360 yesterday (wifi adapter: killer wireless 1535) The wifi disconnected every time after 15 to 20 minutes while all of my other devices (laptop, cellphone, and tablet) work fine. It shows "connected, no internet" with a triangle malfunction symbol on the wifi bar. I've updated the driver but doesn't seem to work. Is anyone's issue solved?

December 4th, 2016 01:00

Hi Jalapeno_lt,
Disabling Intel Speedstep seems to make a big difference indeed.

Can you explain in more detail what you changed on the power options?

8 Posts

December 4th, 2016 12:00

Add me to the list of XPS 13 9360 WiFi issues.  I'm seeing the same issues as everyone else is describing, and not having issues with other devices on the same network.  I'm getting ready to initiate a return unless this gets resolved, which is a shame because otherwise I really like this laptop.

184 Posts

December 5th, 2016 06:00

Hi changsy,

Thank you for reaching us here. I request you to follow the instructions from the link shared here dell.to/1M6fhdj and let us know the outcome.

Also, I request you to share the system service tag, registered owner's name and email via private message for our reference. You could send us a private message by hovering the mouse pointer over my user name and adding me as a friend.

7 Posts

December 5th, 2016 12:00

This definitely seems to be an issue with the Killer 1535, either hardware or drivers.  I imagine that replacing it with another card like an Intel version would help.

5 Posts

December 5th, 2016 12:00

Well after getting nowhere on this issue and being told it's not a common fault, I gave up and returned the laptop.  Like you I am disappointed as the laptop itself was good !  Now to find something else !!  HP X360?

No Events found!