Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2017 21:00

Vostro 2420, Windows 7, Cannot enable WiFi, alternate for "Fn" Key ?

Hi, I need help here. 

First of all, I have a user with Dell Vostro 2420 running on Windows 7 Professional. Somehow, he broke the Fn key and now cannot enable Wi-Fi on his laptop.

Things I've tried:

1. Check the mobility center and the option to enable Wi-Fi is greyed out.

2. Tried external usb keyboard only to realize it does not have Fn key. (However, I read somewhere Scroll Lock can replace Fn but when I tried Scroll Lock + F2, nothing happen)

3. Check in BIOS, nothing related to wireless settings there.

4. Check in Device Manager, network card is detected. (Also uninstall and reinstall driver)

5. Try Sharpkey and KeyTweak, no option to remap Fn key.

Currently, he is using usb wifi adapter as I think that is the only fix for the problem.

Is there any other possible fix for this problem ??

Thank you.

6 Posts

October 31st, 2017 01:00

Hi Chris.

Sorry I was so busy last week I cannot reply. I finally found out that he actually spilled some water on the keyboard. So, we ordered a new keyboard for him.

Btw, thanks for your help.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 20th, 2017 07:00

This 2011 system was offered with the option of seven WLAN Wifi-Bluetooth Combo cards. Which one is installed? Check the Dell invoice.

Make sure the Function Key is enabled in the BIOS:
BIOS -Advanced -Function Key Behavior = Function Key

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2017 02:00

Hi Chris,

It's Qualcomm Atheros AR5B225.

The Function Key is already enabled, that's why I know he broke the Fn key.

Thank you.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2017 09:00

The Qualcomm Atheros AR5B225 is our Dell Wireless 1703 The culprit has to be the operating system image or the driver. He should reinstall our two Chipset drivers, reboot, then reinstall the Dell Wireless 1703 driver.

No Events found!