Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 4th, 2004 20:00

WPA with Truemobile 1300 and 2300

Is there anyone who can get WPA to work, using the Truemobile 1300 and 2300, with Windows XP Professional?

My Inspiron 5150 has the related Dell and Microsoft maintenance applied.  I can only get WEP to work.

The "updated" Control Utility cannot even connect to the Truemobile 2300 router. It connected once, but dropped when I was halfway thru trying to change to WPA.   I have to use my.router.

I go around all day sticking a paper clip in the back of the 2300 to reset it again and again.

Ready of finally give up.

Has anyone made it work?

Thanks, Bill

7.3K Posts

February 4th, 2004 20:00

You must use Windows Zero Configuration (have Let Windows handle my wireless connection checked) to use WPA.  You also need the latest 1300 driver and the latest 2300 firmware.  Yes, most have it working (those that want it).

Message Edited by johnallg on 02-04-2004 05:58 PM

21 Posts

February 4th, 2004 21:00

Thanks for your response.   Yes, I already have it checked, and have applied all the drivers and firmware.

If I could get to the router using the updated Control Utility, I might be able to set the router...maybe.

There is no luck setting WPA with http://my.router (on my desktop)  but WEP sets up fine.

159 Posts

February 4th, 2004 22:00

Hi,

Your router, are you broadcasting the SSID? If not, that can also be a problem. Enable it and see if you connect.

You can also review KB811427, Microsofts document. I know that Linksys claims that once the WPA connection is made, that you can disable the SSID broadcast. However, they may be a problem if you are in an area with other routers braodcasting their SSID

Al

21 Posts

February 4th, 2004 22:00

Thanks, yes it is broadcasting the SSID.  It does not actually say SSID but says something like hide your network.

I'm thinking seriously about going to Staples and buying a Linksys.

Bill

21 Posts

February 4th, 2004 23:00

There is a checkbox next to:  Hide my wireless network

I'll be very embarrassed if it is not SSID.  I did not check it, so have assumed that SSID broadcasting is enabled.

Bill

21 Posts

Hide my wireless network

was, of course, one of the configuration parameters for the Truemobile 2300 router.

Bill

159 Posts

Bill,

I am a little confused. You say the SSID is broadcasting,  but says something like hide your network. Doesn't the Dell router have a SSID option for enable and disable?

159 Posts

Hi Bill,

Ok now I see what you are saying. It sure sounds like SSID is broadcasting. One other item, is your WZC disabled? My understanding is that the Microsoft Patch hits this area.

3 Posts

February 6th, 2004 03:00

Best bet is to hit up Staples

159 Posts

February 6th, 2004 11:00

Bill,

Why are you buying another Router? You could end up with the same situation. Have you spoke with Dell??

I will tell you, even though you speak with a Wireless Tech Rep, they sometimes themselves do not ask the right questions when trying to diagnose a problem. Both of these components are Dell's. I would pursue this if it was me.

Al

21 Posts

February 6th, 2004 12:00

Thanks, Al.

I just spent 20 minutes making a reply to you, and my wireless connection was dropped.

Yes, it seems dumb  to buy another router when the same thing may happen again.  I have been thinking about that, too.

I'm a ham radio operator (W8NY) and recognize the potential for interference.  I just replaced my 2.4 Ghz phone with a 900 Mhz phone, because it knocked the wireless down every single time.

A new Linksys router might easily fail because of the environment here.  Actually, I am not operating a ham radio transmitter here now, so it would have to be other kinds of radiation. 

My WEP connection is staying up pretty well, especially when I disabled 802.1x authenication.  The problem is:  does that defeat WEP encryption?

I'm thinking about waiting for 802.1g later this year, and also Service Pack2 for Windows XP Professional.  Maybe Dell will adjust the firmware and drivers.

It's pretty tough to attempt  problem resolution with Dell because of the offshore language differences.  It's difficult enough in our native language.

There should be no out-of-the-box problems.  I don't know what laymen do with their computer problems.  I am  a very experienced IBM System Programmer, software developer, assembly programmer, etc.  If it gives me this much hassle, then  something is bad wrong  somewhere.

Thanks so much, Al, for your kind response. 

Bill

159 Posts

February 6th, 2004 12:00

Bill,

When you use the WPA, are you enabling the 802.1x authenication? Reading more and more on this stuff, the authenication is needed in conjunction with the WZC, and also, the router's SSID broadcast must be enabled during set-up. In your case, you may have to leave this enabled. But you may have a lot of interferance in your area.

Regards,
Al 

7.3K Posts

February 8th, 2004 21:00

Bill, another source of 2.4ghz interference is a cpu that runs at 2.4ghz.  This has caused others radiatied problems, which moving the router away from the offending notebook/desktop has solved the problem.

Also be aware 802.11g is also on 2.4ghz.

73s,

No Events found!