Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

March 8th, 2006 17:00

Weak wireless signal on laptop

I have an Inspiron E1705 that gets a very weak and sporatic signal. By the way, I have a year old IBM T40 from work that gets a strong signal in exactly the same place. Is it possible to plug a high power antenna to the built in card, or do I need to buy a USB or PC card wireless adapter so I can use a high power antenna? Hawking makes a few different antennae that seem to fit the bill.

Alternatively, is there some other way to boost the receptivity of the unit without adding an exteral device?

27 Posts

March 8th, 2006 19:00

If your router has antennas try moving them around........not kidding seen it work. Also some router have adjustments for the signal strength.

27 Posts

March 8th, 2006 22:00

BTW the IBM ThinkPads are exceptional mach's

5 Posts

Thanks, but I tried that. It appears to be a design flaw in the E1705 with the antenna. Perhaps it does not direct enough power it, or there is some kind of signal conflict. I have an old IBM T40 that gets a strong signal. It seems strange that a big pretty new Dell can not hold a candle (connection) to a little old IBM.

27 Posts

Is that computer new or did this just crop up... Ive bought a a few dell laptops over the years and typicaly the built in wireless work great with exclent range.

March 9th, 2006 18:00

what type of wireless card do you have?? if you have an Intel card you can go into the advance properties and change some settings

5 Posts

March 10th, 2006 01:00

It is the Intel unit that is included with the 1705. I believe the model number is 3945.

March 10th, 2006 04:00

Right click on my computer
left click on properites
click on the hardware tab
click on device manager
click the + sign next to network adapters
right click on your Intel wireless mini-pci card
left click on properties
click on advanced
- depending on the type of card you have you may not have some of these options
- left click to select:
Throughput enchancement - uncheck "use default value box", use drop box to select enable

Power management- uncheck "use default value box", make sure slider is to the highest point

Preamble mode - uncheck "use default value box", use drop down to select long

Transmit Power - uncheck "use default value box", make sure slider is to the highest point

click OK, close device manager
----------------------------
I'd go into the router interface and make sure the router was on channel 6 or 11, these channels have the least amount of interference
- if you need help call router manufacturer, if ur gonna call em' make sure you have the latest firmware for the router as well !
- good luck
No Events found!