Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2008 07:00

Where can I download the Wireless Configuration Utility for my Inspiron E1405

I reinstalled the OS on my Inspiron E1405 and recently went on a trip, I could not get on to half the networks I came across as I was using the Microsoft wireless connection utility. I want the one I had before, I think it is the Wireless Configuration Utility from Dell. Does anyone know where to download this, I have not been able to locate it. I am not looking for the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility, but the one that actually manages the wireless connections,  please.This unit has a Dell Wireless 1390 Mini-Card in it.

17 Posts

December 16th, 2008 08:00

We did it. Thanks to all.  I had previously downloaded where Larry suggested. for Vista "Vista drivers listed for the E1405." Dell_multi-deviceA17-R174292.exe 

I then went to the Device Manager and opened the Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN mini-card and reinstall the driver for it. When prompted where to search, I pointed it to the default unzip folder for the driver file. C:\dell\drivers\R174292.

Thanks Guys!

1.7K Posts

December 8th, 2008 11:00

The Dell Wireless Utility is part of the driver install for the Dell Wireless cards.  You can get that from support.dell.com.

14.4K Posts

December 9th, 2008 07:00

What service do you have running the adapter? if you have window WZ running it you might want to try disabling it and see if that willl allow the  DCP to run the card.

17 Posts

December 9th, 2008 07:00

Larry, I have installed that, but there is still no wireless configuration utility like there was on the system previously. I have also installed teh Dell ControlPoint software, but it does not display any wireless, nor let me configure wireless options. They are all greyed out. Wireless works fine in the Windows app, not in the DCP.

17 Posts

December 9th, 2008 13:00

Well, Larry is correct, wireless configuration utility is on my pc, but it is under the Control Panel. Doesnt work though. I have looked around to stop the Windows Vista Wireless Config Util and have had no luck. It is tenacious! How do I stop Wondows from controling my contections?

14.4K Posts

December 9th, 2008 14:00

To disable the WZC go to START>RUN type services.msc in the box

In the services window scroll down untill you see the listing for windows wireless zero. Click on it to bbring up the options window. There you will see the option to have the service start automaticly, manual or not at all. You will also see the option to turn it off and still leave the startup option.

I would suggest try setting the service to manual,stop the service, reboot and see if you can get the Dell utility to manage. if not just reverse the wzc settings to turn the service back on and auto and then you should be able to connect. no need to reboot to reenable the service.

17 Posts

December 10th, 2008 06:00

Normal 0 false false false Ok, tried turning of WLAN services, there is no  windows wireless zero in Windows Vista. I am using Vista Business, not XP. I thought I had that in my title, but seems I deleted it when I shortened the title.

The Wireless program shows as bcmwlu00.exe at C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell Wireless WLAN Card\.  It wont start, I have tried running as admin, compatibility mode for XP. 

If I can stop Vista from hijacking the connection, then I could  put the program in the start folder and have it come up first. C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell Wireless WLAN Card\bcmwlu00.exe

14.4K Posts

December 10th, 2008 07:00

Ok. See if THIS will help you get it turned off.

17 Posts

December 11th, 2008 08:00

Dave, I found that and tried it a few days ago. I disabled the WZC and shut down and restarted. Then I reinstalled the Dell app. Shut down and restarted. Then tried the Dell Wireless thingy, it starts up, then hangs. Get the little rotating circle endlessly. I let it run, went and took a shower and came back, still rotating. Then I need to do a Task Manager shut down on its ... Not playing nicely. That is for sure. I am at my wits end here. I have had many pc's, hardly ever turn to forums for assistance as generally you can find answers online somewhere, but this one is a stumper. I do answer questions, too, when I run across ones I know. This one however...

14.4K Posts

December 11th, 2008 10:00

what card do you have in your system.

Did you try running the Dell controll point software after turning off the windows service.?

17 Posts

December 12th, 2008 05:00

I have a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Card in it. I did try the Dell ControlPoint™ (DCP) Connection Manager but it would not show any available Wi-Fi networks since I could not turn off the Windows app. Never could get the wireless option to work on it. Even if I turned off WLAN services, then the card would not work at all, so it does not seem to be the same as the WZC. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 12th, 2008 07:00

Some possible help:

1) DCP is for the Latitude E series line. Not for Inspiron E1405. You need to completely rip that out

2) Even if it worked right with DCP, Dell ControlPoint does not control the wireless until the next version of DCP. For those systems WiFi is still controlled by either Windows or the Dell (or Intel ProSupport if you have that) WLAN utility

3) When you did the OSRI, did you wind up with any hits in Device Manager? Did you let Windows natively do drivers or did you install the ones from the support page in order. At the very least  you want the Notebook System Software, Chipset, and NIC/ WLAN drivers Dell has as opposed to letting Vista run loose with it.

4) When you perform an uninstall/ reinstall of the drivers for WLAN, do you have access to the original Drivers/ Resources CD to try the factory default driver?

You said that Windows Wireless config could not see all of your networks? Interesting.......

17 Posts

December 14th, 2008 07:00

1), I know and I did take it off.

3) No, since the 1405 came with XP, I formated the HD and installed Vista on it. The system software is all for XP. Some of the CD's and Drivers would not run with Vista.

4) Have the the cd's that came with it for XP, I downloaded the newest one from the Dell Support site.

No, I did not say "Windows Wireless config could not see all of your networks",  I can not connect to them, I can see them. That is what is the frustrating part. In the Dell Wireless system, I could always connect even as long as the network was open. With the Windows one, I can not connect to many of them. Ones I know I have connected to in the past.

1.7K Posts

December 15th, 2008 10:00

I just checked, and the Dell support site has Vista drivers listed for the E1405.

No Events found!