Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2005 05:00

Wifi USB adapter connects, internal card does not

I have a Dell Dimension 4500, Pentium 4, 2.4Ghz, 256Mb RAM, XP Home

When I installed my ADSL box, I have used the Wifi USB adapter(SAGEM WIFI 11g) on my PC.
This works well.

Then, I wanted to change from the USB adapter to an internal card (D-Link Airplus G+ DWL-G520+Wireless PCI adapter).
This card sends packets but does not receive at all, does not get its IP address.
The connection says: limited or unknown connection.
What does this mean?

Removing the USB adapter and reboot does not help. It should!

Is there a problem having 2 Wifi connections (both active or 1up/1down) on the same PC ?

Thanks for your help.
Jeff330

28K Posts

December 15th, 2005 21:00

Are there any security settings set on the router which would disallow the internal card.  For example, is MAC address filering enabled on the router?  Is WEP or WPA encryption enabled on the router and not configured for the internet wireless card?

Steve

26 Posts

December 16th, 2005 17:00

Indeed, it is a WEP issue.
The shop which installed the internal card did not enter the WEP key and very unfortunately from the connexion properties the Authentication part was hidden.
We called the D-link support who gave us a procedure to reveal the Authentication part.
Using control panel, then admin tools, services, then automatic wireless config,
then I do not remember. It was to quick to execute without time to record the steps.

Who knows how to reveal (thus configuring) the Authentication part of a wireless connexion when it is hidden. It is crazy to hide such info !

Thanks to volcano11 for his help

Jeff330
No Events found!