Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2010 09:00

Wifi on Dell Latitude D620 is having some issues, Please help!

Ok so my family recently bought an att wireless router with DSL modem (it is a 2701HG-B Gateway and the manufacturer is 2wire) and we have been attempting to connect my Dell Latitude D620 to the wireless connection. After several hours with tech support we have worn out the possibility of there being something wrong with the Router and are trying to figure out how to get the internet to work.

Vital information:

The laptop is pre owned by the company Pratt and Whitney and was resold to us.

The operating system on our laptop is Microsoft Windows XP

The laptop is a Dell Latitude D620

At this point the laptop is recognizing wireless connections and connects but does not use them (sorry if that part is unclear its really hard to explain).

The process we go through (including steps prior to the actual problem) is this:

1. Go to start menu

2. Click on control Panel

3. Click on Network and Internet connections

4.Click on Network Connections

That brings us to Local are connection (which i believe is not the major component in the problem)  and wireless network connection.

5. I right click and enable Wireless Connection

6. I then right click again (after the wireless Network Connection is enabled) and then click on view wireless connections

7. A window pops up saying"choose a wireless network"

8. I double click on my network

9. it asks for a network key

10. (tech support told me what to type in) I enter the key

11. A screen then pops up saying "please wait while windows connects to '---------' "

12. After I am connected it shows me the "Choose a wireless connection" page again

13.In the right hand corner of the network connection it says not connected

14. However below it says "This network requires a security key. You are currently connected to this network. To disconnect from this network click disconnect below"

15. (May I add there is no Disconnect button.) If I double click on it though it asks "Are you sure you wish to disconnect fromn the network "_______"

Basically one thing is telling me i am connected to wireless and the other is not.

I have repeated the connection process several times and it has not changed the results.

Seeing as it does say that i am connected (even if it also says I am not) 16.  I proceed to click on internet explorer.

17. Internet explorer tells me the webpage you have requested is not available ofline. To view page click connect.

18. I click connect

19. I get the error message "No connection to the internet is currently available. To view Internet content that has been saved on your computer, click work ofline"

20. Next to work ofline is the button "Try again"

21. I click it and it say that the page cannot be displayed

After that I think it's backl to square one.

PLEASE HELP ME!:emotion-9:

269 Posts

December 22nd, 2010 10:00

It sounds like their tech support gave you the wrong security key to use to access the wireless.  Based on the "This network requires a security key. You are currently connected to this network. To disconnect from this network click disconnect below" it sounds like it connected to the wireless network but couldn't authenticate with the security key.

We had something similar happen when we signed up for AT&T's U-verse system and the installer gave me the wrong key to use for the wireless.  After searching around on AT&T's support sites I found some documentation on the gateway / wireless router they installed and it turned out to be something that was on a sticker on the side of their gateway device.

5 Posts

December 22nd, 2010 11:00

I recently had the same problem on a Toshiba and an Acer connecting wirelessly through my 2 wire router. My ISP has since discontinued using that particular router. The only way I was able to fix my problem was going into the router 192.168.254.254 (address) and setting the router to open. I have no neighbors and knew the only way my internet would have gotten jacked is by someone setting in my driveway being chewed on by my dog. Having the network open is not a good idea if you live in a populated area (which is why I assume you use the key). You can change the key with a slightly complicated password using a few capitol letters and numbers and use that as the key also.

P.S. not familiar with the laptop you have but the router does not support N, only G and B. make sure you do have the latest firmware(that option should have been the Techs first rec.)

Short _Bus is correct, the sticker for the original key will be located on a sticker on the side of the router or the bottom(bottom if you are using the small white stand that came packaged with the router).

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2010 16:00

yoyoyoyoy,

You said...

The laptop is pre owned by the company Pratt and Whitney and was resold to us

I'm thinking on the lines that they used a static IP Address and you need to change it to DHCP.

Also what type of security and channel are you using in your wireless router?

How to login to your wireless router and try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11.

Rick 

February 10th, 2017 22:00

I've connected to Rogers on the TV. My Samsung S6 is on WiFi I entered info into the Dell laptop  tells me to Type the security key ?

Please tell me what  security key is ?

No Events found!