Highlighted
hgvrgt16
1 Copper

Re: Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card / problems connecting to WPA-PSK protected network

I do not have WPA-PSK2 - it´s the normal WPA-PSK -....isnt it ?

But i have all updates from Windows, SP3 is installed...

The hotline (DELL) told me to pull out the WLan Card, it´s to cheap.... !?!?!??!?! Hä ??? What ??? Why are they selling thouse things ?

Ok back, maybe a missunderstanding between the communication of router and wlan card ?

cheers Oliver

0 Kudos
LOVINPARKVILLE
1 Nickel

Re: Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card / problems connecting to WPA-PSK protected network

On the router does it list the wireless encryption methods as WEP, WPA, WPA-2-PSK and AES or something else? WEP and WPA(plain wep with longer key) are not recommended now as they are easy to decrypt.  The 1397 should support all of these but the Windows Wireless tool may not support them with your version of the driver. Try the Dell Wireless tool that is installed with the card and see if  WPA-PSK works that way. If the router and the card do not use the identical encryption scheme then no, it won't work and that's what it sounds like you're getting.  Mike

0 Kudos
hgvrgt16
1 Copper

The router has

802.1x

WEP

WPA

WPA-PSK

WPA2

WPA-PSK

I use WPA-PSK TKIP - and it work with other PC and Notebooks very well. I live in a small village, don´t think that someone is comming to scan the 40 houses here for a free way to the internet ^^ .

But both way, tryed with windows network setup and also tryed with the dell network software. nothing, everytime when i put the key "on" there is no way. If it´s "off" than i can go to the internet.

Is it secure when i only use the mac-adress filter and no key ? i can put the mac-adresses in the router and maybe that will help so i can make the key "off".

0 Kudos
hgvrgt16
1 Copper

It´s the

Arcor-Vodafone WLAN-Modem 200  also called   Zyxel Prestige 660HW-T7

0 Kudos
LOVINPARKVILLE
1 Nickel

What model wireless router is it? This card does NOT support WPA that I can see, it has to be WPA2 so try WPA2-PSK and see if just this machine connects.

0 Kudos
LOVINPARKVILLE
1 Nickel

Ok,

The router supports WPA2, if their are options under that select TKIP and try that with your 1397. IF it's a no go then I would use MAC filtering and the strongest WEP key you can manage out of it, possibly 128 bits. I would also firewall the wireless from the wired machines and only share wireless machine resources if you are more than 85 meters from any listening spot. The 1397 will probably call WPA WEP 128 bit instead of WPA. Let me know what shakes out.

0 Kudos
PudgyOne
6 Indium

My wife has a Mini 1011 with a 1397 card.

My daughter has a Studio 1537 with a 1397 card

I broadcast my SSID(Change this if you changing settings to make it easier to connect.

I use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal)

I use mixed mode and broadcast on channel 11.

I have no problems with them connecting. My password is 12 digits long.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
LOVINPARKVILLE
1 Nickel

My money is on the fact that WPA2 is not REQUIRED to be backward compatible and some of them do NOT add that capability which the Broadcom did not according to the specs even though the driver has it in the drop down menu, I have had that issue before with certain wireless cards and common drivers. The other units support WPA2-PSK or AES so why not go the more secure route. Depending on warranty  you could swap the cards between 2 units and try it, that would isolate the card or the Windows load itself. The other option is to try an external USB or PCMCIA adapter if you have a friend that has one that support WPA and WPA2..

0 Kudos
C-DILL
1 Copper

I cannot Connect to my wireless internet (Linksys WRT100) Everytime it says there is a problem at my access point. I am not sure how i can fix this problem. I contacted Dell in 2 ways, the first was through a Chat, that was not helpful, 2nd I talked to someone over the phone ( Dell Support) and all they wanted to do was sell me an extended Warrenty when i still have 150 days remaining on mine now. So if anyone knows anything about this problem it would be extremely helpful!!!

0 Kudos
LOVINPARKVILLE
1 Nickel

We need a little more info to help you, what encryption are you using, what model Dell and wireless card etc. to best identify the issue.

0 Kudos