Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2012 14:00

Wireless Adpater won't recognized anymore in Vostro 1500

Hi.

My friend got an old Dell Vostro 1500.

(BTW, I saw in the specs of the 1500 that it has Dual Core proccessor, but his is Centerino. How come?)

I formated his computer due to slow-speed among other problems, and did clean install of Win XP Pro.

Now I d/led all the drivers from Dell's site regarding the Vostro 1500, and installed them.

My problem is: Windows doesn't recognize a wireless adapter on the laptop.

Network Connections has only 1394 and LAN options.

In the 'Device Manager' I've got a question mark on "Network Controller" and on "SM channel".

I've tried to manually install Dell Wireless driver - no success.

Tried to set the laptop to ignore the Wireless switch through the BIOS - still havn't got any sign of Wireless adapter in Windows.

BTW - in the BIOS menu - I see "Dell Wireless" under "Wireless" property.

Any help?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 16th, 2012 15:00

Cheetah64d,

Did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

14 Posts

January 16th, 2012 23:00

Hhhhmm... could be that... no.

Havn't seen this doc before, so didn't know the order is important.

What should I do now? Format AGAIN?

Because I've tried to uninstall the Braodcom driver, and re-install it. Didn't work.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 17th, 2012 03:00

Cheetah64d,

Start with the notebook system utility and the chipset drivers and install the drivers in order. Things should start working.

Rick

14 Posts

January 17th, 2012 04:00

Ok, the NSS claimed that the "language of your OS does not match the supported languages of this software release."

I've installed Hebrew XP on this laptop, and choose Hebrew in the Language filter in the Driver Download section in Dell site. Still - not a match. Anything to do?

The chipset driver (Intel) installation solved the "SM BUS" question mark in the Device Manager, but not the "Network conroller". Still got a question mark on this, and still can find any Wireless Adapter in the Connect to section.

Installing Dell Wireless driver (R151517) didn't solved the problem. Suggestions?

TY!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 17th, 2012 09:00

Cheetah64d,

See if THIS VERSION will install on your system. The Hebrew version, is it XP Pro of a different version? Did you have the OEM disks from Dell or the Windows version?

Rick

14 Posts

January 17th, 2012 12:00

Well, the link that you provided me is the exact link that I downloaded from before.

This is the link to Dell Notebook System Software, ver 5.3.6 A30.

Doesn't work for me.

I have WinXP Pro in Heb, with Microsoft Disc, not Dell.

My OEM Dell disc comes with Win XP in English (don't remember if it's Pro or not..)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 18th, 2012 02:00

Cheetah64d,

Please bear with me.

When you install Windows on your computer, did you use the English OEM disk, then switch it to Hebrew or is the OEM Disk in Hebrew?

Did Dell Send you a drivers disk? Is it in Hebrew?

The 1394 is the firewire connector and is not wireless.

Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

Please run the Finding System Information Tool and post the information back here. It may give a clue to your adapter.

Rick

14 Posts

January 18th, 2012 10:00

Ok. I'm very appriciate your efforts to help, and very thankfull for that.

In the meanwhile. I've manage to 'activate' my Wireless adapter, by install the correct Dell driver.

If you interested in what was it - I can look for it again.

I only remmeber now that it start with R20... instead of R15....

Thank you again!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 18th, 2012 13:00

Cheetah64d,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

March 17th, 2013 00:00

I am having the same problem, please direct me to the correct Dell driver to install.

No Events found!