Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2009 14:00

Wireless Printer Adaptor 3300 Won't Setup

I'm adding 2 3300's to an existing Wireless network with WPA-PSK security.

Adapter connected to a laptop (which is itself on the network), Setup Wizard runs, allows me to select the proper network & set the WPA-PSK key, but fails when configuring the adapter with "unable to join the network.'

Checking my DHCP server tables, I do not see an IP assigned to the Adapter's MAC.

For kicks, I connected the adapter to the printer anyway, and tried using the IP Configure utitlity to find & configure the adapter.  No luck, the IP Config utility could not find it.

At this point, I'm completely stuck, as there doesn't seem to be much to try other than the setup wizard.

Any help appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 9th, 2009 15:00

JeffLeyser,

These are the settings and instructions that worked for me.

If wireless, fix your network first.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(WPA Personal). Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels. I use channel 11.

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

After router is done, now setup your wireless print server/printer.

3300 Utility

3300 Firmware

Attach the 3300 to your computer using the USB Cable and insert the 3300 disk. Follow the instructions. It should ask you for the network ID, type of security and password.

Start, All Programs, Dell, Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300, Set IP Address Utility. Click on the proper one, TC/IP Settings. Change the ip address to what you want it to be. I keep mine in the higher range.

Rick

2 Posts

November 11th, 2009 06:00

Rick, thanks for the assist.

Unfortunately, I've done everything you suggested in the "fix your wireless first" section (latest firmware, using channel 6, WPA-PSK, etc), but continue to be stuck in the "setup your wireless print server" section.  The setup wizard fails, giving me only a vague "the server can't connect to the network" error.

Any other thoughts?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 11th, 2009 11:00

Jeff,

Try channel 11. I've had better sucess with channel 11. If I rmemeber correctly some of the security on the wireless routers need a password that's 13 characters long.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 14th, 2009 19:00

Jeff,

What is the make and model of your wireless router? Is it a Belkin by chance?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 10:00

AdamHach,

Did you setup your Netgear using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings?

The adapter needs to transmit on the 2.4GH band.(b/g)

The N network uses the 5.8GH band. You'll need to use the g network for the 3300.

Rick

1 Message

November 23rd, 2009 10:00

I'm having this same problem.  I just installed a new Netgear WNDR3700 and now it won't recognize the Dell 3300 Printer Adapter.  I spent hours trying to solve this on my own and over and hour on tech support with Dell on Saturday -- all to no avail.

The adapter sees my network but when it tries to connect I keep getting the failed connection warning.  Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

No Events found!