Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2005 12:00

Wireless connection but no internet

Hi,
I can connect from home and from a number of fee paying hotspots wirelessly to the internet with no problem. When I go to the library where there is free hotspot I get difficulty connecting with my laptop. There is a good wireless connection with the icon in the systray indicating a strong signal. When I open a web browser I get the "page not available" for the home page of hotspot which requires signing in. This is so even after disabling firewalls. I do not use any form of encryption. No problem though for my axim as well as my friends' laptops. 

Ideas will be appreciated. Using Dell I8500 with Windows XP2 and a Dell Truemobile 1300 miniPCI card.

Sch

2.2K Posts

June 13th, 2005 17:00

Schumann,

If your problem only occurs with one network, then it is going to be a problem with that network, or the configuration of your system in relation to that network.  You need to check with the library, and go through their instructions for setting up to use their network.  I would look at whether or not they use a proxy server, but there could be something else as well.

14 Posts

June 15th, 2005 14:00

Hello Dell-Rollie,

Thanx for the reply. The library staff are as baffled as me. No, there is no proxy-server.  We went thru the procedures with one of their tech staff but it all came to nothing. I met a fellow library user with an Inspiron 8200 who had similar problems. His solution was to make a backup of his system, reformat and reinstall windows XP. I thought that was too drastic a solution just to make a connection.

The wireless connection is fine, I can ping the router but there seems to be  a problem with the connection to the internet. There is failure to download the logon page. I believe I have to alter some settings on the browsers.  Do you have any ideas?

239 Posts

June 15th, 2005 15:00

A solution could be as simple as explicitly telling Windows XP that you want to connect to the network even though the network is not secure. Then again, if you had the help of a tech staff, then I am sure you have tried that.

When webpage don't load up or selected pages show up without pictures, it's possible that your network adapter is not communicating with the router or the server synchronously. It's like trying to understand someone who talks too fast or too slow. If your network adapter's advanced properties has different speed settings, manually set a lower speed and give that a try.

(On a second thought, wireless networking standard is pretty universal. This miscommunication issue shouldn't occur. Could the wireless channels be mismatched? Now I am just confusing myself.)

Message Edited by jingyenshiau on 06-15-2005 11:19 AM

No Events found!