Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2013 08:00

Xps 12 and widi

Ok, last week got an XPS12 with win8 64 bit. It's advertised as being widi capable. However, it is delivered with no widi software. I've tried intel and dell software, and the widi software will not install. I've spent hours on the phone with dell "support". They have been of zero help and have absolutely no experience with widi. They first tried to tell me that intel does not support win8 with widi. I had to point them to the intel site. I'm about to return the XPS12 within my return window if dell cannot solve this as I'm increasingly concerned with the obvious support gaps. Is there anyone running widi on an XPS with win8? Just trying all options before abandoning an otherwise nice machine.

3 Posts

March 14th, 2013 19:00

Thanks ! Did they mention they might come up with a resolution soon ? My purchase decision is depending on it .

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 18th, 2013 17:00

wmhjr1,

Try this and let me know what happens...

1. Download the latest graphics driver for your Intel HD graphics from the following link. As of writing this message, the latest version is 15.28.7.2867 (9.17.10.2867). Choose x86 if you are running a 32-bit version of Windows 8, or x64 if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows 8: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=2nd+Generation+Intel%c2%ae+Core%e2%84%a2+Processors+with+Intel%c2%ae+HD+Graphics+3000%2f2000
  2. Download the latest Intel Wireless ProSet driver and software for Windows 8 from the following link. As of writing this message, the version is 15.5.6. Choose x86 if you are running a 32-bit version of Windows 8, or x64 if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows 8: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21999&lang=eng&wapkw=proset+15.5.6
  3. Download the latest Intel WiDi Software v3.5.40.0 from the following link: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22016&ProdId=3227&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=Software%20Applications

If you need instructions on pairing the system with the wireless received please check out the following link.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/node/332056?wapkw=intel%28r%29+widi+widget)  

Rick

22 Posts

March 18th, 2013 21:00

I'm currently running those graphics drivers AFAIK (will double check) and went through this exact attempt as far as steps other than that, this is what I have attempted each and every time.  I will double check, and will consider re-installing the graphics drivers.  Also, I've been recommended to reboot after each install step as an attempt.

22 Posts

March 26th, 2013 07:00

OK, folks.  While Dell normal support was not able to really provide much assistance in this, I have the good fortune to have access to much higher and deeper levels within Dell due to my job.  As a result, I was able to get some much needed focus on this - for which I thank those folks at Dell.

I have as of yesterday been able to at least successfully install the WiDi software on the XPS12.  I no longer have the actual WiDi TV adapter - I'll have to get another one to test.  I returned the original one until such time as I could just get the software to run.

It turns out that going through the following procedure allowed the software to load.  The order, and the versions, appear to be critical as does the need to insure you fully reboot between each step. 

Below is the
sequence I used for installing the prerequisite software.  A reboot is
required after each software installation.

1)
Intel PROSet/Wireless v. 15.5.5.47 or higher: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/xps-12-l221x?driverId=N9HRX&osCode=W864&fileId=3153883410&languageCode=en

2)
Intel HD Graphics v. 15.28 or higher: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/xps-12-l221x?driverId=J87MC&osCode=W864&fileId=3153887030&languageCode=en

3)
Intel WiDi v/ 3.5 or higher: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/xps-12-l221x?driverId=586RW&osCode=W864&fileId=3103943403&languageCode=en

22 Posts

March 26th, 2013 09:00

Rick, BTW - your process did not work.  I was able to get a solution.  It is listed separately in this thread.  The main difference is the order in which you do this, and the reboot between each one.  Even if the first two are already there, if they are not installed in the exact order they failed in my experience.  Clearly something happened with the Dell image that created version incompatibilities between the original gold image and one of the driver updates.  According to Dell, when originally tested (with different versions) the Widi software installed correctly.  This does, however, create concern in terms of Dells testing methodology, in that this configuration error was missed.

8 Posts

March 29th, 2013 01:00

Hi,

I came accross this thread since i'm having some general connection issues with the standard wifi. Just to let you know, i have the widi up and running on my Dell XPS 12 (the core i7, 256GB ssd one).

I used all the standard drivers from Intel (not from Dell). Just recently a new set of drivers was released by intel:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22548/eng/Wireless_15.6.1_e64.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=22548

It did not solve my wifi problems, but maybe it could help you with your widi connection issues.

22 Posts

March 29th, 2013 08:00

Can you tell me which WiDi device (Netgear, etc) you decided to use and is working correctly?

8 Posts

March 29th, 2013 09:00

Its the netgear p2tv 2000.

22 Posts

Thank you.  And you're happy with the Widi functionality with an external display?  Also, what wifi issues are you having?  I'm not experiencing any Wifi issues at this point.  Frankly, now that the Widi software is installed, the only things I'm struggling with are Windows 8 peculiarities (which have nothing to do with the XPS12) and the screen resolution for normal use.  At age 51, the native resolution is pretty difficult to read, and expanding the screen every time you click on something is distracting.

8 Posts

It is perfect for watching movies, anything other then that you'll notice the delay. Mouse cursor is a bit slugish on the widi screen for example.

My Wifi card is getting replaced on tuesday, so i hope that solves my issues.

22 Posts

April 7th, 2013 20:00

Well, unfortunately I've got the WiDi software working, and though I picked up another  PTV3000 and have progressed further, the end result is still unsatisfactory.  At this point I'm unsure if it's Dell, Intel, MS or Netgear, but I've decided I've had enough of WiDi for now and I'll be returning yet another PTV3000.

Here is the current situation.  All of the newest drivers and WiDi software installed.  First of all, got in a new PTV3000 and attempted to set it up.  Under no circumstances would the WiDi software see the Netgear device when scanning.  Saw that there was a newer version of firmware for the PTV3000, downloaded it and attempted to install it.  Unfortunately, Netgear is lacking in both their documentation and their support/engineering - as the firmware upgrade process simply will not run using IE10 - period.  Finally tried using Chrome and it successfully updated the firmware.  Strike 2 for Netgear.  Then, when attempting to connect, the WiDi software did see the PTV3000, but it demonstrated very inconsistent behavior - with one exception.  In every single case it reported an error that I was using an "unsupported wireless protocol" and pretty much indicated I should be using 80211a/b/g/n etc.  At first if I closed that error box, everything worked correctly - at first.  It started disconnecting at random, and often would refuse to connect.  I called Netgear support (very very poor support) and walked through the issue with two different people (had to also register the product on the call because their registration page also failed on IE10).  After about 45 minutes, the tech claimed to never have seen these issues or that error msg before - even though it's been reported on their own support site.  He indicated that updating the firmware should fix the issue - obviously not having heard me when I stated what firmware version I had upgraded to.  He had no further assistance to provide and offered to escalate the issue.

My situation is that I simply don't have the time to beta best this stuff.  Calls take far too long, and wait holds are excessive - only to typically end up talking to somebody who has no clue about what the product even is supposed to do and gets flustered wthen their "script" fails.  So, I'm going to punt on WiDi.  I've had enough - it's simply not worth the effort.  I've now tried two times, but there will not be a third - at least for a long time.  I'm simply going to get an HDMI dongle and avoid this flaky technology.

4 Posts

April 17th, 2013 09:00

I've had a dell xps 12 for 3 months now and I love it but the <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> widi does not work and I've also been through numerous different dell support techs. And I haven't spoken to one that isn't Arabian and very hard to understand and seeing that despite all the information you put in this thread about it not working dell support techs STILL are posting the same procedure To fix the issue that has not been resolved by anyone at dell. I too am VERY upset with this <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> and would like to return my machine but given the longevity of this problem it has <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute Character removed as per TOU> out for about 2 months now, cause first I was waiting on netgear to come out with a windows 8 firmware for my NTV300SL. And finally when that came out I found out my system will not install the widi software and aborts exactly like you specified.

4 Posts

April 17th, 2013 09:00

I've had a dell xps 12 for 3 months now and I love it but the <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> widi does not work and I've also been through numerous different dell support techs. And I haven't spoken to one that isn't Arabian and very hard to understand and seeing that despite all the information you put in this thread about it not working dell support techs STILL are posting the same procedure To fix the issue that has not been resolved by anyone at dell. I too am VERY upset with this <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> and would like to return my machine but given the longevity of this problem it has <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute Character removed as per TOU> out for about 2 months now, cause first I was waiting on netgear to come out with a windows 8 firmware for my NTV300SL. And finally when that came out I found out my system will not install the widi software and aborts exactly like you specified.

8 Posts

April 17th, 2013 10:00

Dell has not been able to solve my problems either. After a lot of calls and some replacement parts they have now taken back the XPS12 and fully refunded me.

I have to say that their service has been amazing and very helpfull. But i guess that is mainly a local thing (had the dutch support)

Good luck with the problems!

1 Message

May 13th, 2013 03:00

I just got the dell xps 12.  Messing around with the widi, I reached the point where trying to install the widi software on the xps 12 caused an abortion of the installation and the error "not compatible with your platform".  Yeah, whatever.....

Anyway, reformatted it back to factory settings.

Using a ptv3000 from netgear (Push2tv)

the wireless display software after factory reset was 3.5.40 or something like that., wifi was v15.6.1 

Was then able to download widi 4.0.18.0  from intel and it allowed for "upgrade the software".  Previously it would give me that non compatible with platform error above when I removed the intel widi and then tried to install it.  Guess removing it was a big no no, as I couldn't even install dell's original widi softwareafterwards due to the non compatible with platform error as well.

Updated the netgear firmware to 2.2.15 (was at 2.2.9).  Set it up as instructed from netgear.  Using to windows key + P combo, I got the external display thing, made it mirrored from laptop screen (not extended like it says in the ptv3000 manual) and it worked.  So far it's looking good except for that slight lag.  Was trying to stream from my main computer to the laptop to the netgear ptv300 (waaaay too much streaming, was choppy though sound was present).  A movie actually on the laptop itself  however ran fine.

Doesn't beat the mini hdmi to hdmi cable though in terms of speed, but who cares, the option was there, got it working, I'm ok with that.  All my tvs are hooked up to computers anyway throughout the house, so it's not like I really needed it.  But knowing it was there and not being able to get it working was really bugging me:-)

No Events found!