Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2015 19:00

broadcom Wireless adapter for XPS 13

I recently purchased 3 Dell XPS 13's

All 3 off them are having constant issues with the wireless network adapters. They constantly drop from the networks or simply fail to work and we need to uninstall and reinstall the drivers (with a reboot) in order to make them functional.

Want to move from wireless network to network - forget about it.  it is a complete fail.  even when standing next to the router of booster.

I am extremely disappointed as this applies to all three of my brand new laptops!  tech support was useless.  I am hoping someone here can help before I just write it off and send these back.

1.8K Posts

October 19th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with those XPS 13s.   Can you tell me if they're running Windows 10 and what make / model of wireless cards (and driver version) is in them?  Do they have the Broadcom 4352 AC/BT combo cards?

(Are those the 9350, L322X or 9343 version of the XPS 13?)

Just as a test, have you tried turning off bluetooth on those cards to see if that changes how your wireless connections are acting?  

If you can provide a bit more information on the specifics of your system configurations I'll see if I can try and find some information to help you.

Todd

October 20th, 2015 15:00

It is running:

Windows 10
Dell Wireless 1560 802.11ac  as its wireless adapter, it is Broadcom manufactured.
On my computer it looks like there are two Bluetooth devices, I am going to disable both of them. 
The other thing I have under Network Adapters in Control Panel is Dell GigabitEthernet which is DisplayLink manufactured, I am assuming that is the docking system - I don't know if that would cause any corruption in the wireless adapters.

It is running:

Windows 10
Dell Wireless 1560 802.11ac  as its wireless adapter, it is Broadcom manufactured.
On my computer it looks like there are two Bluetooth devices, I am going to disable both of them. I will let you know if it seems to help while I am on wifi. 
The other thing I have under Network Adapters in Control Panel is Dell GigabitEthernet which is DisplayLink manufactured, I am assuming that is the docking system - I don't know if that would cause any corruption in the wireless adapters.

1.8K Posts

October 21st, 2015 09:00

Hi,

Can you describe the symptoms for us a bit more?   When they're dropping from the networks does it seem to be because they're moving away from the access points, like it would be a signal strength issue?  You said that moving from one access point connection to another doesn't work "even if standing next to" the router.  The systems seem to lose connectivity when "leaving" one access point and never pick up the one they're moving towards?  Is that what is happening?

Also, since the 1560 can handle both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz frequencies, do you have the capability of testing the 5GHz on your access points / routers?  I wonder if that frequency would provide a more stable connection. 

I pulled this from a support article published by Microsoft.  It's meant more for upgrades but maybe clearing the tcp/ip stack will clear up whatever conflicts are causing the problems:

Method 1:
Run network adapter troubleshooter and check. Please follow these steps:

a. Type troubleshooting in the search box on taskbar.
b. Click troubleshooting in the search results.
c. Click "View all" and then click "Network Adapter".
d. Click "Next" and follow on-screen instructions.

If it does not help, use method 2.

Method 2:
Reset TCP/IP and check.
Refer this article:
How to reset TCP/IP by using the NetShell utility
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357
(Also holds good for Windows 10)

Note: Please refer "Let me fix it myself" section in the above article.

Also see:
Why can't I connect to the Internet?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cant-connect-internet#1TC=windows-8
(Also holds good for Windows 10)

Please try those steps as a test and let me know if they help.  It's something that our internal engineers are stressing so hopefully it will work.

If it doesn't, please give me a bit more detail about the symptoms, what you're seeing when the systems disconnect, etc, and I'll pass that along to see if we can find some fix for you.

Todd

2 Posts

October 21st, 2015 12:00

In order to save you the hassle of going through Dell's support, I will give you the solution here. The fact is that the Dell Broadcom 1560 ac adapters have malfunctioning drivers in Windows 10. This has been an issue for months now (it blows my mind that Dell-Todd is giving you the aforementioned procedure...). Check the specifics here to see how to roll back your driver: en.community.dell.com/.../19649698

This atleast makes your wifi usable again. 

10 Posts

October 21st, 2015 20:00

Why is no one addressing this issue properly at Dell?

Why is no one answering to this thread: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/p/19652447/20835941/ ?

Troubleshooting the hardware adapter resets it and a few minutes later the same problem happens again. Clearly this has not been tested by Dell properly. Look at the forum and how many posts are there about this very same issue!

Do something about this, Dell.

October 22nd, 2015 01:00

support has been in contact with us and we are going through the options. BUT obviously this is a bigger issue that needs to be addressed with an update.

We also have problems with our touchpads.  This is across the board with our new laptops.  Seeing lots of chatter about that also.

2 Posts

October 22nd, 2015 02:00

In order to save you the hassle of going through Dell Customer support I will give you the 'solution' here. The fact is that the drivers for the Dell Broadcom 1560 are malfunctioning in Windows 10. So you have to roll back to an older driver. The specifics can be found here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19649698

This at least makes the wifi usable again. It has been an issue for months now, and it blows my mind they still haven't addressed this. The forum is literally full of these posts.

No Events found!