Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

May 23rd, 2012 04:00

cannot turn on file discovery and file and printer sharing options on my new 14Z...save changes tab is greyed out!!

I am trying to set up file sharing between my new 14Z and my desktop (both W7) and have come up with a frustrating problem.

am unable to enable file sharing  my laptop files from my desktop.

The problem is that on the “change sharing options for different network profiles” page reached through

(control panel>network& sharing center>choose home group sharing options)

I cannot turn on the Network discovery and File saving options.

I click on the two enabling buttons for "Turn on File Discovery" and "Turn on File & printer sharing" and  I then find the save changes tab greyed out so I am unable to save the settings.

Any help with this frustrating problem greatly appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2012 09:00

idreos,

Try reading the articles below. They may help you.

How to Network with HomeGroup in Windows 7

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

The default in XP is MSHOME. The default in Vista/Windows 7 is HOMEGROUP. I think I heard that an XP machine cannot be added to HOMEGROUP.

Virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 23rd, 2012 10:00

Since you have 2 win 7 computers, set up a Home Group. That makes sharing easier. The Save Changes button is greyed out until you make changes from the default. Select Turn Off Password protected sharing and the Save changes button will appear since On is the default. Make sure you have selected Home or Work for your Profile--the default is different. You then have to do the same on the other computer.

No Events found!