Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

February 16th, 2010 15:00

express slot on dell 1501

I am trying to connect to the internet with an express card from clearwire. Its not recognizing that one is on there...after being on the phone for an hour with the tech from clearwire he told me that it looks like my computer needs the driver for the slot or something like that. I went on the drivers and downloads section but did not find the one in the list. Any help would be appreciated...

THANKS!

139 Posts

February 16th, 2010 16:00

You could update the bios.  If that doesnt detect it, chances are its not compatible or a systemboard problem.  Are you sure your computer has the correct slot for this device?  If it's working in another computer but not this one it could very well be your system was not meant for it.  But generally speaking, a bios update should allow you to use this device if its compatible.

139 Posts

You will need to go here: http://www.clearwire.com/support/drivers.php for your drivers, as this is not part of your factory system and is something you have added you would not find drivers for it on the dell support site.   It should have came with an installation disc but you can download them from the link.

Also, read this: http://www.clearwire.com/downloads/clearwire_pc_card_user_guide.pdf

It says it big bold red letters not to install the card until you have installed the drivers.  You made need to uninstall from add/remove hardware and install the drivers first, then the card. 

I went through that already with the tech from clearwire and he said it was the driver from my computer that needs to be installed because my computer did not recognize that there was a slot or something like that. Im sorry Im not to computer savvy, I have the clearwire signal on my icons but it keep saying PC card not plugged in when it is plugged in. The card works just fine on another computer.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

February 16th, 2010 17:00

First, I hope that you are actually trying to use an ExpressCard card and not a PC Card card.

They are NOT the same, and they are NOT compatible.

The tech from Clearwire is wrong about needing a Dell driver installed. The driver MUST come from the manufacturer of the device which in this case is Clearwire.

Updating the BIOS may do the trick, but there is no guarantee.

February 16th, 2010 19:00

Yes it's an express card.

I updated the BIOS and still nothing. Im just confused because I had this same computer a dell 1501 and it fell and broke, since I had no issue with it and actually liked it I just bought the same kind. The card was working jus fine on the other computer...I just cant figure this one out...

I ran the CD that came with the card through this one and is saying card not connected..  :o/

No Events found!