Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 9th, 2012 06:00

insprion 14z not connecting wirelessly

Thought I'd post in case anyone else has this issue...

New inspiron 14z would not connect to wireless home network.  Area networks appeared, tried to connect to my network (entered password, etc.) and would attempt to connect, but could not.  Solution - activate McAfee security center.

Products - 2 day old Inspiron 14z  (windows 7, intel wi-fi) & Netgear n300 (6 months old, connecting  2 yo inspiron 15, sony bluray, kindle fire, hp photosmart 3500 printer with no issues)

I checked router log in information, firmware updates, cable connections - all okay.  So I called tech support and the first cutomer care rep adjusted the power saving settings to "Dell" (was turning off wi-fi adapter to save juice), but that didn't solve issue.  He told me that it was probably an ISP/router issue.  Eventually I spoke to three other reps and 2 supervisors and was consistently told issue was ISP and/or router.  Crankily, I told the last customer care rep that if the issue wasn't resolved, I would return laptop, since everything else was working.  (Not nice of me, but that's how I felt.  I'm not about to spend an extra $100+ on a router when mine is working fine and my ISP service is fine.)  So, that rep agreed to connect to both my new laptop and the older inspiron 15 to find any differences in settings.  He then found a solution - McAfee security center.  I had not activated it, because I prefer another product, and hadn't uninstalled it before calling.  The rep activated it and voila, connectivity.  Afterwards, I did uninstall mcafee and installed my preferred security product, and still have connectivity.

I still have no idea why McAfee wasn't allowing a connection, or if it was a windows security setting and not the mcafee product itself.
Oh, and obviously the issue wasn't my router and/or service provider, so I felt slightly justified with my "if it's not fixed, I want to return the product" tantrum.

904 Posts

January 9th, 2012 08:00

Thanks for sharing !

7 Posts

August 21st, 2012 16:00

Thank you so much for sharing.  Your input has picked me up off the floor where I fell out of exhaustion and exasperation.  

I am having the same wireless connection problem with my week-old Inspiron 14z.  Two days of conversations with three Belkin techs, an ISP tech and a Dell tech have whittled down the possible problem source to the router or the laptop not to mention turned my ear beet red and my knees swollen from crawling under my desk so many times to plug, unplug, and replug from the power source.  After returning the original router for another the problem still persists so I'm looking at my laptop more seriously as the problem source.  This idea is affirmed by the fact that my old laptop, now connected to the router, has internet access.  A friend suggested that the problem may be related to configuration of the new laptop and that idea falls in line with your solution.  

For the first time in three days I'm at least feeling like I have some direction.  Thank you so much.  Glad your problem is no more!

1 Message

June 12th, 2016 14:00

I'm having the same issue, except that I can't Find any networks to try to connect, it keeps turning the switch to "off" without me even touching the laptop, seconds after I turned it on. I do not use McAfee so Im starting to think that's some kind of virus. I just tried to restore the computer's system and let's see if it will solve the problem...

No Events found!