Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 8th, 2006 18:00

intel pro wireless 2200 with inspiron 8600

I have been looking through old posts to solve my problem but still am unsure just what to do.  I have had this 8600 for almost 2 years and just got wireless internet service a couple months ago.  Right from the start I could never stay connected using wireless through a router in the next room.  It would start out ok and then keep losing speed then stall out. The direct connection was fine and I have been told many things to do.  I am in the process of downloading the latest driver.  As you can tell I am quite the novice.  I have a linksys router WRK54G router and I was beginning to think there might be something wrong with it until I put an external wireless adapter in my old laptop and it worked perfect wireless.  ( of course it doesn't now but that is a whole different issue to be resolved later.)

Can someone direct me on what to do.  I never get anywhere with calling India as they usually tell me things to do that I have already tried.  My wireless supplier seems a little clueless

3 Posts

March 9th, 2006 00:00

Not sure of the date of your post. I'm having similar problems with Intel PRO/wireless 2200, Inspiron 8600. Worked earlier in the day but now "wireless network not available". I tried loading the latest drivers but still doesn't work. All other computers can connect and I can connect if by hard wire. NO WIRELESS AVAILABLE.

62 Posts

March 9th, 2006 01:00

When I first got wireless internet my 8600 worked great using the hard wire or whatever but when trying to use it wireless with the router it would work for a little while and then just stall out.  I knew it should work better than that and was actually blaming my router until I installed an adapter in my old notebook and it worked wonderful.   Be careful what you do as I just tried to download a new driver as directed and the program completely took off the wireless adapter, the intel pro wireless.  Now I do not know what to do but suspect it was defective to begin with.  I hate to call Dell as they make you go through so much that does not work and I have already been through the tech documents.

If you figure anything out please post it here.  I have really had problems with this computer from the very start.  The hard drive when out less than a month old and sometimes when shut down it will not come back on.  It can't find windows.  No one knows why.

Maybe someone out there will help us out with this problem.

3 Posts

March 10th, 2006 11:00

I've been satisfied with the overall performance of the 8600 but still have the issue with the wireless. I tried downloading the latest drivers without success. The wireless isn't working at all. I've taken it to a shop for repair (warranty ran out 2 mos. ago). I suspect a hardware failure... It seems that there are a few people on the forum with similar problems. I hated to take it in for repair but don't have the time to keep messing with it. I'll post when I get a idea of what the repair will be.

3 Posts

March 12th, 2006 11:00

Windows wireless still doesn't work, but by using application "Intel PROSet Wireless" it is doing fine. More stable and configured easily. Not sure "what's up with Windows". Maybe someone on the forum can explain... Service Tech. didn't give much info. chat cost time and time is money. I'm going to continue to ask around so I can better understand what's going on with this.

62 Posts

March 14th, 2006 23:00

I don't think anyone really knows why the wireless acts up.  I took a suggestion of downloading the lastest driver and it took off my Pro Wireless and I did not even have the means to go wireless.  I figured out how to download it and much to my surprise everything worked wonderful all over my house.(for awhile).  I think we are just going to have to learn to live with undependable wireless.  Usually if I turn off the computer and router overnight the next day wireless works again for awhile.  I never know for sure and I am still trying to figure out a few bugs here and there. 

I cannot get into the pro wireless software as I get some error message.  Right now I am just going with what I have as I am tired of wasting time downloading this and changing that.  Computers can be just wonderful but boy are they a pain when they do not work right.

2 Posts

March 27th, 2006 00:00

I've been having the same issues and I found this answer in another thread...I've tried it out and so far seems to be working.

From LostRU

I have an 8600 and fixed it by doing this. Go to control panel. performance and maintenance.
Administrative tools. Services. then scrol to the bottom and look for the "wireless zero config". Highlight and right click on the service. On the drop down menue for startup type, choose disable. This will force the intell program to boot and will keep MS services from trying to start causing a conflict. Good luck!

62 Posts

March 27th, 2006 01:00

Thanks for the tip.  I just did it and will see if it changes anything.  I feel I have nothing to lose as I am at my computer now with a wireless connection and it is getting slower and slower.  I so looked forward to relaxing in my lazyboy while watching tv and doing computer work at the same time without all the connections.

2 Posts

March 27th, 2006 01:00

well I tried it shortly before I sent the post and haven't lost connection since....I was averaging having to "repair" the wireless network about every four mins before and haven't done it since! Let us all know if it works for you as well
No Events found!