Highlighted
martin1223
1 Copper

network adapter on windows 7 causing latency and sound distortion

This just started three weeks ago and I never had the problem in the three and half years running the desktop computer. When I browse in chrome from one site to the next the sound distorts on You Tube or from my Spotify software. I used the DPC Latency Checker and discovered the problem is in the Network Adapter, but that has the most recent update.  I would appreciate any suggestions. 

More details about my computer:

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz 6.9 4.9
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 5.9
Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics 4.9
Gaming graphics 1696 MB Total available graphics memory 5.3
Primary hard disk 534GB Free (922GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Home Premium

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model Inspiron 580
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 922 GB
Disk partition (C:) 534 GB Free (922 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type Intel(R) HD Graphics
Total available graphics memory 1696 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1632 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.2622
Primary monitor resolution 1600x900
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet

2 Replies
Highlighted
DELL-Todd S
4 Beryllium

RE: network adapter on windows 7 causing latency and sound distortion

Hi,

A couple of quick, and maybe crazy, questions.  

First, you said this happens in Chrome.  Does it have the same effects in Firefox or IE?

Second, are you using internal speakers or detached?  If detached are the speakers located close to the system (and thus the network card?)

Third, are you using the broadcom NIC for your internet connection?   Is there a network cable plugged into it and, if so, is your network connection sluggish or does it seem to still work as normal?

Fourth, when you say you are browsing from one site to another does that mean you have youtube or spotify running separately (or in another tab) so that it shouldn't be affected by loading another webpage?

It could be that there is some sort of short, or electrical static, in the NIC that is aggravated by data flowing through it as you access new pages, and that is causing the static / interference in the speakers.  But I would think if that were happening you would see an issue with the internet connection and speeds as well.  Unless the network cable has the plastic / rubber shielding around the wires fraying away, exposing the wires within it.  

What happens if you physically move the speakers further away from the NIC?  Does the distortion lessen?

Let us know the answers to the above questions and I'll see what else I can think of to check.  

Todd

Highlighted
norbou2
1 Copper

RE: network adapter on windows 7 causing latency and sound distortion

Hi Todd and Martin,

I have the same problems with Inspiron 15R SE 7520. I have latest drivers on Windows 10 64. I discovered also that network driver is causing DPC latency problems and audio is playing very poor with lags. That's crazy. So good computer with i7 is not able to use network over cable and play sound...

When I play from local music source, also I see the context with bad network driver, because shuttering is casused by network traffic for example by browsing in any browser.

I think we really need new Realtec and Conexant drivers, because they are seriously bad. Or any trick how to set up the current configuration and windows timers. May be the possibility is set low priority to network.