sugarcoated
1 Copper

network card connectivity failure

Hi, 

I have XPS 14 L241X  that I purchased about a year ago. I am having some issues with my wifi connectivity and I suspect it may have to do with my network card. It uses a Killer Wireless-N 1202.

I brought my laptop just before going off to school, but for the few days that I had it at home, I had no issues. I went off to school, and I'm pretty sure the issues I had with the internet there were the with the school's network and not me. When I returned home on weekends, and for other breaks, things were still fine.

However, later in the year, while I was still away at school, my parents switched wifi providers (from Verizon to Comcast). Suddenly, I couldn't access internet in my room. However, my computer constantly maintains that I have an excellent signal strength (4-5 bars) and that everything is connected. And yet, my browsers maintain that there is no connection when I try to type in any web address. At first, I thought that it was the router, but my phone and other devices work fine from this location. I tried disconnecting and restarting everything countless times, different combinations, different orders, but nothing has changed.

To make matters even more peculiar, I quickly found that when I go to the downstairs level of my house where the router is hooked up, I suddenly have no issues.  The internet works as expected. But, once I reach the top of the stairs, things stop working. The only exception I have found to this is that the internet works momentarily if I restart upstairs. After a few minutes, though, it returns to not working as usual.

I recently did a Dell Diagnostics test on my computer, once upstairs, then the same test again downstairs. When I am upstairs, my network card (Killer Wireless-N 1202) fails both the signal strength test and data transfer verification test (no connection). When I go downstairs, lo and behold, it suddenly passes them both. 

I don't exactly know what is going on. Is there an issue with my wireless card or is this just the peak of its range? Is it somehow switching off after a certain range? Is there a setting I need to adjust?

I thought with a more exact diagnosis of what's going wrong, I would be able to more easily find a solution. That's not really the case. Perhaps I haven't looked hard enough (it is a frustrating search!), but I have yet to really find anything similar to this. The closest I've found is a stipulation that there is perhaps a unique compatibility issue with Comcast and this particular Network Card. That's all I really have to go on.

I figure why not just try to offer up my specific situation and see what comes from that.

Can anyone help me?

I'd appreciate any insight into this issue that you all had to offer up. Thanks!

0 Kudos