Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2011 22:00

reinstalled Windows XP Inspiron 6000; now can't connect to Internet

Hello -

I'm trying to help my sister-in-law with her laptop.  It was running very poorly, so I backed up all of her data, and reinstalled Windows XP.

I used a reinstallation disc from a different Dell computer.  The OS did install completely, however it is not possible to connect to the Internet through her DSL line.  Device manager shows problems with many items.  Verizon tech support told us that we need to download the proper drivers from Dell in order to straighten this out.  I can use a different computer to download the drivers that are needed, however when I enter the model number of this laptop onto the driver download page, there are many, many drivers to choose from.  How can I figure out which drivers I need?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.  

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 5th, 2011 22:00

Spideriffic,

The desktop/notebook system utility and the chipset drivers need installed first or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Please read...

How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager

Since you need to download the drivers, it you go to Drivers & Downloads in the left column, near the bottom, click on warranty status, then enter your sister-in-laws service tag number, then click on origional configuration, there it will tell you what was installed on her computer when it was purchased. The network adapters and the items that were installed.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software(if applicable)
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

August 6th, 2011 00:00

Very helpful, thanks so much!

August 6th, 2011 11:00

Follow up - downloaded and attempted to install the notebook system software.  Received an error message - "incompatible with service pack."   Am I having this problem because I started with a reinstallation CD that is too outdated?  Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 6th, 2011 12:00

Spideriffic,

Did you use the Dell OEM disk that came with the computer? Maybe you're one of the people with the wrong disk.

If in the United States, Request Backup Disks USA. If in another Country, call Dell Tech Support in your Country for the disks.

Rick 

No Events found!