Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2009 08:00

restoring settings after switch to "wireless zero configuration"

Recently, while traveling, I had to startup "Wireless Zero Configuration" in order to find the network where I was and logon to it. Now, I am back home and want to switch out of this -- my computer is running very slow. I have scanned using Webroot, Adaware and SpyBot and none found any problems w/ malware. My CPU usage reaches 100 percent all the time now with just a few programs open -- totally unlike before. I have tried turning off WZC, but I still have the high CPU usage problem. Tried a restore point, but that didn't fix either.  Please help.

I have a Dell Latitude 610 with a Dell Wirless 1450 Dual Band WLAN (802.11 a/b/g, 54 Mbps, and at home I connect to a Dell Wireless 2350 Broadband Router. Everything was fine until I left for this trip and had to use WZC to access a network. I have Win XP Pro SP3.

Mark

14.4K Posts

You say you have turned off the WZC and are still getting high usage which means there may be another program running that is not related. press CTRL, ALT, DEL and look at the the processes tab. This will list all running programs and their CPU usage.

47 Posts

Top processes running include: winword.exe (81mb), iexplore.exe (70.1 mb), explorer.exe (49.6 mb), MsMpEng.exe (38.5 mb), outlook.exe (36 mb), svchost.exe (35 mb). These all look normal to me. My software usage habits have not changed. Only change was WZC switch and that's when the chugging along began.

I think WZC did something.

Mark

47 Posts

I see something cvalled "WRConsumerService.exe" give a 99 CPU reading from time to time. I also see "System Idle Process" go that high on the CPU reading. Not sure what these are.

Mark

14.4K Posts

March 12th, 2009 09:00

did you have to install anything when you connected to the other network?

The system idle process is ok so leave that one alone.

WRConsumerService.exe belongs to Spy Sweeper or Spy Sweeper Core programs.

47 Posts

March 12th, 2009 10:00

No. I did not have to install anything on the other network. Just run WZC to find it and to acces it.  However, I have since uninstalled Webroot Spysweeper and reinstalled it, and my CPU Usage now appears normal. Not sure what diff that makes, but seems to have solved the prob. Webroot didn't like me turning on WZC and then turning it off.

Mark

14.4K Posts

March 12th, 2009 11:00

Probably some sort of permissions issue with the Spysweeper. Glad to hear you are running like before.

No Events found!