Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2006 19:00

router won't allow internet access

For some reason my DLink router quit allowing me to have internet access. When I connect my Cisco 675 DSL modem directly to my PC, using the integrated PCI network connector, I have no problems. As soon as I try to put into the loop either a D-Link 614+ 802.11b or a DLink 524 802.11g wireless router, there no internet connection. I've done everything suggested by my DSL provider and DLink. Swapped cables, enabled / disabled Zone Alarm, and reset both the router and modem. The only thing I have't done is sacrifice a virgin. I noticed my connection was going to pot around Monday or Tuesday when I was trying to configure another PC using a wireless connection. I usually got a very good signal strength, but it was showing only a fair to poor strength. My laptop used to connect with no problems and then it quit being able to connect.
Any suggestions?

28K Posts

May 13th, 2006 19:00

It looks like it's time to get out that virgin.  Either that or get a new router.  Router's do sometimes fail.

Steve

84 Posts

May 13th, 2006 21:00

Unfortunately, the DI-524 was new. And neither the old DI-614+ nor the DI-524 will allow access.

28K Posts

May 13th, 2006 21:00

Is the wireless card turned on?  Does it show up in Device Manager?  Does it show up in Network Connections?  If you right click on the wireless network network connection and select "View Available Wireless Networks" can you see your wireless network?

Steve

28K Posts

May 13th, 2006 23:00

In your initial post, you talked about wireless.   You really have not made yourself clear and you inititally said that you did everything possible.   It's really difficult to help without knowing what that everything is. 

Steve

84 Posts

Actually, my friend, you appear to have misread my query. My D-Link routers serve not only as wireless access points to my DSL modem, they also serve as four port ethernet wired network devices. Once the Cat 5E cable is connected between the D-Link and the PC, all connectivity is gone. Zilch. Nada. I don't plan on running a naked wireless network until I can get the router functioning properly so I can set the SSID, WEP, channel, and the like.

84 Posts

I can't get the router to let anything through, let alone a wireless connection. As I said, as soon as I run the DSL connection through the routers, there's no access.

28K Posts

If you aren't going to answer my questions, I guess I won't be able to help.  Sorry.

Steve

15 Posts

May 14th, 2006 00:00

Are you able to connect to other computers on the same network? 

If so, you might want to check whether you've entered the same protocol (PPoE, etc.), user ID, password, etc., that you use when connecting to the Internet directly through the DSL modem.

svAbhinava

84 Posts

May 14th, 2006 01:00

Okay, I mentioned the wireless because the router provides 802.11g access as well as ethernet over Cat5E cable.

I went thru the entire install again, swapping out the old cables, including the one that came with the 524 and used one my ISP provided with the modem. I ran the setup wizard from the install disc after going through all of the set up through the URL based wizard.

Wireless is 5x5 and treetop tall. Internet access is dead. The only thing I can figue is the 524 has a bad connection internally as my 802.11b DI-614+ works just fine now.

"Curiouser and curiouser", said Alice.

PS - I wrote this message on my laptop with an integral Broadcom 802.11g radio.

Message Edited by KEP3 on 05-13-200609:47 PM

28K Posts

May 14th, 2006 05:00

Are you now agreeing with my first reply that perhaps you need a new router?  What does "5x5 and treetop tall" mean and what does it have to do with the problem?  I'm giving this up and hoping that someone else will perhaps jump in.  It seems to me that you are just playing with me and trying to confuse me.  Sorry I can't be of further help.

Steve

84 Posts

May 14th, 2006 21:00

Oh, the blissful ignorance of youth. "5x5 and treetop tall" is slang from the seventies for having a strong, meter-nailing signal on your CB radio. Some idiots, however, would hook up a linear amplifier that would carry for 50 - 100 miles and kill everyone else's signal. Slightly illegal as CB were limited to 5 watts I believe which gave them a nominal range of 5 - 10 miles.

2K Posts

May 15th, 2006 17:00

KEP3

Breaker

How about your current computer issue. Were you able to resolve it?

84 Posts

May 15th, 2006 20:00

Go ahead, little buddy. You got the Blue Demon here. The four lane is clear of all smokies and county mounties. Just watch out for them seat covers in the rice burners.

D-Link said the unit was defective and to send it back to Newegg.com. Newegg has sent an RMA already. Both responded in under 12 hours. Wouldn't it be nice if certain computer companies had customer service like that?

No Events found!