Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 7th, 2012 13:00

wireless connection stopt working, even after McAfee removal

Few days ago the wireless in my son's Dell Inspiron 620 went bad. It does connect to my old router (WEP), but speed is terrible and connection goes bad after some time. I can also see my modern router and enter the key successfully (WPA2), but it won't connect. Connection to both routers went well for months before, and still goes well from all other devices in the house.

I read the issue with McAfee that was posted late August and followed the steps. Connection in safe mode didn't work. Then I removed McAfee from the PC, no difference. Then I restored the PC to a couple of days before the issues began, removed McAfee again (as it came back through the restore), no difference.

I reinstalled the drivers of the Dell wireless card, no difference.

I'm at a loss now, any more tips?

Thxs, Mark

10 Posts

September 11th, 2012 13:00

Issue is solved!! It's really silly, it turn's out that my WPA2 router is sending an SSID around but nothing will connect anymore. All my devices switched to my WEP router automatically, but it appears that from the Inspiron 620 the WEP connection is unstable, might be the location. Powering off the WPA2 yesterday didn't make the difference, but now I've disable the WPA2 wireless and enabled it again, and the connections work fine, also from the Inspiron 620, with super response times.

Leaves the issue with the F8, just hope I won't need it anymore. If you know of any other way to get to the advanced boot menu it would be very welcome.

Regards, Mark

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

September 8th, 2012 01:00

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Community,

Does the wireless connection status show connected? Is that when you try to access internet the browser does not display any webpage?

You have mentioned you tried in safemode,was it safemode with networking(as internet wont work just in safemode,it has to be safemode with netowrking)?

Try connecting the system directly to the router/modem using ethernet cable,confirm if you're able to access internet.

Which wireless card do you have on the system?

Thank You

10 Posts

September 8th, 2012 06:00

Hi Roshan, the card is a Dell wireless 1502, drivers are from Atheros. When I used safemode it was with networking. I tried to do the safemode again but can't get into the option anymore, no reaction to F8 or F5 when the Dell logo appears, it was also really a struggle last time. F2 and F12 work but don't get me to the options.

On my WEP router, status says connected, but when pinging to my gateway responses differ constantly and at a certain moment it stops responding (even though the status still says connected).

Connection to my WPA2 router is not successfull at all, it aks for the key, and continues when typing the right key, but displays in 2 seconds that connecting is not possible.

When connected to the WEP router, the browser keeps searching very long for google and then says it's failed. I did manage to do some downloading though. When pinging the gateway, responses in general take more than 1000ms.

Again, all of this since a few days ago, therefor connection to both routers was fine for months.

Regards,

Mark

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

September 11th, 2012 04:00

Hi mark,

Did you try the hardwired connection using the ethernet cable? Since the F8 options are not coming,try to release flea power,disconnect power chord,disconnect all peripherals keyboard,mouse,(any USB devices),press and hold down power button for 30 seconds.Reconnect only the power chord,keyboard and mouse.Tap F8 on start up and see if you get the Advanced boot options.

If the issue persists with the hardwired connection too,than it may be software related issue.Since you have already removed the antivirus software,I would suggest you to back up all data and reinstall the Windows.

10 Posts

September 11th, 2012 13:00

Roshan, connection is slightly better today, don't ask me why, nothing changed. Ping still varies wildly though, from 20ms to 1000ms and some timeouts.

I disconnected all cables and did as you suggested, but F8 still doesn't work. Bus as said, the wireless WEP connection is reasonable today, browsing the internet is doable.

I put in a Hauppauge WINTV card some weeks ago below in the slot the wireless card (with an analog TV cable connected to it), when I remove the cable and disable the WINTV card the signal seems slightly stronger, I was wondering whether there could be interference. But then it doesn't explain why it worked well for quite some time.

Maybe it's also an idea to buy an external antenna to put on the desk, as the computer is in a box under the desk which might deteriorate the signal.

Well, all workarounds. Still feel that it might have something to do with the McAfee issue that was posted by Dell some time ago, do you have any other clients that have wireless issues even after removing McAfee?

Mark

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

September 13th, 2012 00:00

Hi  Hendrickx,

Glad you got the wireless working.About the Advanced Boot Menu,try using the Pause Break key when you see the Dell logo.So when you turn on the system,at Dell logo,press the Pause Break key once,so that the screen pauses at Dell Logo,as soon as the screen pauses at Dell logo,start tapping F8.Try this couple of times and see if it brings up the Advanced Boot Menu.

Let me know if this helps.

No Events found!