Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2009 22:00

wireless network adapter driver for inspiron 1501

Hi,

I re-installed windows xp on the laptop because it was very slow due to virus/malware. Now I have a problem with the wireless card. When I open network connections, it wont show up the wireless card. On device manager under other devices, I see Network Controller with  yellow question mark. I right clicked and uninstalled and then install the driver from dell web site. When the driver finish installing, the found new hardware wizard pop-ups and it says canot find the driver!!! When I check with my service tag, this is what I found.

1 JR356 Card, Wireless, Minicard, DW1395 4312BG

which I assume may be the wireless network card on my computer. Where can I find the driver for this card. How can I get my wireless internet to work. Please help.

Thanks,

Joshy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 29th, 2009 23:00

Joshy,

I think this is what you're looking for.

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

Rick

4 Posts

March 30th, 2009 06:00

Rick,

Thank you for the reply. I went to drivers and downloads and downloaded and installed drivers, but not in this order. Does the order matters? Under network card drivers, I installed the dell wlan card driver (us) and when the driver finish installation, the new hardware found window pops up and try to install the driver. I am wondering why it pop-ups when the driver installtion was done from the dell site. Then it complains that your new hardware may not work because te driver was not found. I went to the original system configuration tab and found that I have this wireless card

JR356  Card, Wireless, Minicard, DW1395 4312BG
 and assumed the driver on dell site was the right one. But installing that doesnt help at all. Still the Network Controller is yellow when I go to device manager(under other devices) I am sure that my computer has wireless adapter because I was using internet wirelessly on this one before the re-installation. Is the yellow Network Controller indicates, the wireless card driver is not installed? Why is it still yelloe even after installing the driver. I even tried to install the drivers from the CD, but still the wireless card won't show up and the network controller is yellow in device manager.

What am I doing wrong?

Joshy

4 Posts

March 30th, 2009 10:00

I started from scratch again re-installing the operating system and all the drivers in the order specified. Still the network controller has a yellow (?) mark indicating it is not installed correctly.For wireless network Card, I installed:

Dell -Driver

Applies to-

.Wireless WLAN Card

Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini Card

Wireless 1490 Dual-Band WLAN Mini Card

Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card.

This is the driver listed under network for Dell Inspiron 1501(Windows XP) and I installed it and still no luck. Again original configuration says Card, Wireless, Minicard, DW1395 4312BG. What else I should do to get my wireless to work?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 30th, 2009 17:00

Joshy,

Did you install the Notebook software and the chipset drivers?

Did you install Dell Quickset? This controls the Fn and hotkeys on your computer.

Did you try Fn and F2 to turn the wireless card on/off or is there a switch?

If it's still yellow in the device manager, try un-installing it in the device manager and restart your computers. Windows should find it and then install the correct driver.

Rick

1 Message

April 5th, 2009 21:00

I'm having the same problem.

I just reinstalled Windows twice, being very careful about the order in which the drivers were installed. Still the network controller wont work. I've also tried uninstalling the controller and restarting. Windows searches on/offline for the driver, but it's unable to come up with anything.

Does someone out there know what's going on or how I/we can fix this?

April 7th, 2009 20:00

I too am having the same issue, however, I installed everything the correct way and even found the right driver for the 1395 minicard.

I have no yellow ? in my device manager but I do still have a problem.

I can see a wireless network, but the computer wont connect to it, wired is fine but wireless just wont work.

I have tried everything I know, and heres another thing, I cant get my computer to configure my IP address.

I have tried IPCONFIG /ALL in the run screen, a screen comes p for a millisecond then its gone, the same goes when I try to reconfig the address.

What am I doing wrong?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 7th, 2009 22:00

April 8th, 2009 17:00

Rick,

I am sorry I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP Home on my system.

I have done everything I know (besides doing a clean re-install).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Roger

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 8th, 2009 19:00

Roger,

Did you install the drivers in the right order?

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

Rick

April 10th, 2009 11:00

Rick,

That may be my problem because I didnt load them in that order.

Can I un-install all of them and just re-install? or will I have to start over?

Thats for your help.

Roger

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 10th, 2009 14:00

Rodger,

Just try installing the Notebook/desktop system drivers and the chipset drivers over what there right now. If the first two aren't installed first, the other drivers don't install correctly.

After you do them all again, then look in the device manager and see if anything like yellow exclaimination marks or red x's are there.

Try it and post back the results. If I don't get back to you right away, maybe one or the other forum members will as it is my weekend to work and you should be able to get the help you need.

Rick

April 10th, 2009 16:00

Rick,

Thanks for the help, I have to work the weekend myself.

What I may do is take my computer with me to work and do it there, they have a stronger connection anyway.

I will post back when I get the results.

Have a good weekend.

Roger

May 16th, 2009 15:00

well i am having the same problem  1st of all there is no wireless driver on the dell resource CD, 2nd when you enter the service tag to find the drivers it does not list the wireless addapter driver either, you have to click the drivers tab for all 1501 models and it only shows 3 differnt choices for a wireless addapters and none of them will install a driver.

i have done a refresh reinstall of windows

installed the drivers in the order witch was posted on dells website

the wireless addapter is tunred on in the bios and it shows up in the device manager as a network controller

there is no other switch that turns the device off/on other than the FN+F2 keys witch are setup correctly in the hot keys

system config per dell

1 WX781 Card, Wireless, Minicard, DW1395 4312BG

of course you cannot get any support from dell unless you pay them for support or extend your warrenty at a cost of 250

everything worked fine till i decided to reinstall windows, now i cant get that wireless driver reinstalled

packet

96 Posts

October 6th, 2009 08:00

hi there got the same issue as you all ... i reformat the laptop and reinstall the drivers in the order specified and still have a yellow mark on pci device and wireless network card even if i run the driver setup R151517  i get no error reboot the laptop but nothing ... the device cannot start

Thanks

October 6th, 2009 08:00

i ended up downloading a differnt driver, there are probably a 100 different laptops that have that same wireless chip. the driver i downloaded and have working is R202477

Hope this helps ya

packet

No Events found!