Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2008 07:00

wireless problem

I can connect to wireless networks, but then i can't connect to the internet. Unless I'm connected to my home wireless network, which works fine. But any other netowrk, i can connect to fine, it says i have a good connection, but I can't get online. I'm using an Inspiron 6400.

thanks

6.4K Posts

November 16th, 2008 09:00

You may be having a problem with firewall configuration.  When I first started with wireless my laptop was having difficulty connecting to networks because the firewall wouldn't allow the automatic configuration to take place.  I was using Symantec and found I needed to do one of two things; make my default gateway a trusted network site, or turn on the automatic network detector.  The last was the most helpful since it allows for moving the computer to different connections with the least trouble.

2 Posts

November 16th, 2008 15:00

pretty sure its not my firewall as even when i turn it off i can't get online

6.4K Posts

November 16th, 2008 16:00

Have you checked the Internet Tools options?  IE should be set to automatically detect settings.  It almost has to be something simple since it works on at least one network.

17 Posts

December 9th, 2008 07:00

I have the same issue. I am working on solving it now, I will post a follow up if I find one and check to see if you come up with one too. Very annoying as you have perfect connection at home, then when traveling, you can connect to 10 percent of the networks out there. Before I reinstalled the OS, it was 90 percent.

No Events found!