Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2018 08:00

vlan across switches

Hi,

i'm having trouble setting up vlan across two switches.  I've read the "Networking Best Practices - Connecting Two Switches", but couldn't get the vlan communicate between the switches.

We have a pair of N2048, created vlan 10, assigned port 45, 46 to vlan 10 in access mode on both switches.

After that I used the following command to create the trunk port on both switches (this is where I'm confuse and whether I created correctly).

console(config)# interface gigabitethernet 1/0/47
console(config-if)# switchport mode general
console(config-if)# switchport general allowed vlan add 10 tagged
console(config-if)# switchport general pvid 1
console(config-if)# exit

But when I plug in device in port 45 on both device, it cannot communicate.  Any idea what did I do wrong?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 10:00

The config for the switch to switch connection looks good. You are probably pretty close to getting this to work. Can you show the config from the end device facing ports? What IP settings do the clients have? if both devices are on the same switch, are they able to communicate?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 12:00

With traffic being ok when on the same switch, it sounds like it could be the connection from switch to switch. Is VLAN 1 able to communicate switch to switch? Perhaps try Trunk mode instead of General mode.

January 3rd, 2018 12:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  If both device are on the same switch(ie port 45, 46), they can communicate.  Just to expand a bit more on our environment, we installed fiber internet in our building, but telephone guy can only install the modem in our telephone room, which has a switch.  What we're hoping is that instead of laying a cable to our server room, we create a vlan, plug the modem into port 45 in the telephone room, and output to the switch in our server room, then plug into our firewall.  Plugging into the same switch (ie port 46), the device can pickup the ip address thru dhcp. but when we plug into the switch in our server room, we can't pickup the ip address (we also tried manually configure ip address)

thanks in advance

No Events found!