Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2009 13:00

Antivirus Pro 2010 (Trojan)

My computer is now infected with the (fake) antivirus pro 2010 Trojan and after spending half the day with McAfee attempting to fix the problem, it has been decided that it is now embedded. I has planned to use the system re-build or system restore instructions that I was given 3 years ago by Dell tech when it was still under warrantee, but have come across others in my Dell searching today for information that they do not seem to be effective or cannot seem to be able to complete the job. I do not remember getting a start up disc when my computer was new. Can anyone tell me what to do? McAfee says they can help, but I cannot afford their extra fee at this time.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 1st, 2009 05:00

What model PC?  What operating system?  we can't give you specific help without this info.

If you are in the US and the registered (with Dell) owner you can get a free set of discs  HERE 

If the PC came with the Dell Recovery Partition on the hard drive (and it has not been deleted or corrupted) you can do a complete reinstall back to the original factory condition either with CTRL/F11 for systems with XP or F8 for systems with Vista.  

The Dell "PC Restore" (recovery partition) reinstallation instructions can be found HERE

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 1st, 2009 14:00

If you have the Dell Recovery Partition, that will reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything (and the Antivirus Pro 2010 will be gone). 

If you go the manual way with the discs, reformat the hard drive and then install everything and it will also be gone with the hard drive reformat.

October 1st, 2009 14:00

Thank you for your response.

Dimension 3000/Windows XP

One of these, the disc or the PC Restore, will definately reinstall everything back to day it was new without Antivirus Pro 2010?

October 2nd, 2009 10:00

Thanks so much!

No Events found!