Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2008 07:00

Battery Error Message

Every time I boot my  Inspiron 1501, I immediately receive the following error message before Windows is loaded:  "Warning:  The battery cannot be identified.  This system will be unable to charge this battery."

When I continue, the laptop does recharge the battery and it functions as normal.  The battery is in like-new condition.  How do I turn-off, or eliminate this error message appearing each time I boot?

This message first appeared when I was visiting Russia 5 months ago.  On the flight I was watching a video and the battery depleted to the point where the laptop shut down automatically.  When I arrived in Russia I plugged in the computer (220 volts, as I have done many times in the past) and booted.  I immediately received the error message.  When I continued the boot, I found that the battery was charging as usual.  Ever since that time, I now get the error message, but the computer and battery function normally.

I could find no reference to this error in any of the Dell support files.  I removed and reinstalled the battery but the message continues.

Any help out there?

1 Message

November 8th, 2008 07:00

I have the exact same problem, minus the trip to Russia. It seems to be running fine, but I'm sick of the message! I'm almost at the end of my warranty and would like to know what I can do about this.

Thanks

T

2.2K Posts

November 9th, 2008 18:00

See if this BIOS update helps.  Let us know....

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R174470&SystemID=INS_PNT_1501&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=13120&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=9&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=1&fileid=236967

Good luck.

239 Posts

November 10th, 2008 16:00

the message can be turned off. via the bios. bios update may help, but if it don't, just disable the notification.  Did it on all three dells i have had for the last 4 years and never had an issue.

No Events found!