Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2008 18:00

Broken keyboard on Inspiron e1405

Tried to log on to my laptop tonight and none of the keys on the keyboard work. Mouse (touch pad) works fine. Keyboard worked fine this morning. Any ideas? Of course, my support contract is up. Thanks in advance.

14.4K Posts

December 15th, 2008 18:00

does it work before you get to windows? See if you can get into the bios. Press the F2 key at the big Dell splash screen. If it works and you can move around in the bios the next step would be to try booting into Safe Mode. Tap the F8 key at the Big Dell screen and chose the option to boot into safe mode. see if it will work in safe mode.

36 Posts

December 15th, 2008 19:00

no, F2 won't do anything at the splash screen. Plan B?

14.4K Posts

December 16th, 2008 03:00

not much choice at this time. need to replace the keyboard. If under warranty call Dell. If out of warranty and you feel you can do this call Dell Spare Parts and order a new one.

The only other option would be to try using either a ps2 keyboard if you have a ps2 port or possible a usb keyboard.

36 Posts

December 16th, 2008 05:00

I replaced the touchpad last summer. Do you know if the keyboard is hard to replace? I found they keyboard here http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=4399 but want to be sure that's what it is. Any thoughts?

14.4K Posts

December 16th, 2008 15:00

Here are the INSTRUCTIONS on replacing a keyboard. If you replaced the touch pad I would say it's on the same level. That keyboard if truly compatable would be a lot cheaper then from Dell

36 Posts

December 16th, 2008 17:00

thanks so much for sending the instructions. I went to the GS today (much to the chagrin of our IT guys) and the guy said "it will take forever to fix it. You may as well do it yourself." Remind me not to go back....I'm crossing my fingers that the cable is just loose, but probably not. Thanks again, pal! cjs

No Events found!