Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2009 08:00

D828L Monitor Driver

I have a Dell 8200 (circa 2001) in which the internal hard disc drive failed. I have purchased a new hard drive but cannot reload all software (including the "modem" attachment for my router to the Internet) because the "application cannot run with current monitor depth" (which I can see no way of adjusting).  I have attached a D828L monitor for which I do not have the original driver. When I try to down load a D828L driver on another computer, "they" always want to use DriveDetective or similar to search the "wrong" computer and then to install the program (again on the "wrong" computer). All I want to do is down load the D828L Monitor Driver program to disc and then to manually install on my computer. Dell do not appear to offer this service as this is not the original monitor ??  Please can anyone advise.   Thanks in anticipation, Sid.

2.6K Posts

July 29th, 2009 11:00

Far more likely the problem is your video drivers, not the monitor.  "Monitor depth" is somewhat misleading - it refers to the resolution and color depth set by the PC's display properties, which in turn are controlled by your video card and its drivers.  That D828L is an SVGA plug-and-play and should not require any drivers to display both a high resolution (up to 1024x768) and high color depth -  but it will only do so if the video card is telling it to.

If your display properties are "stuck" at low resolution/low color (right click Desktop, Properties, Settings tab),  you're probably using the default minimum VGA drivers built into XP (or whatever OS it is) and need the correct video drivers for your particular card.  Drivers for the 8200 are here.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8200&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Hopefully if you add the service tag in at the top of that page it will list only the drivers specific to your particular configuration (don't post the service tag here on the forum - it's against forum rules since it's considered personal information).

August 1st, 2009 11:00

Dear Alexandra_P

Thank you for your advice which has solved my problem.

I would have replied earlier but I have had unrelated problems with my computer which are now sorted.

Please record this subject as closed/solved because I can not see how to do it.

Best wishes Sid

No Events found!