Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

June 3rd, 2009 10:00

Dell 948 Printer vs Microsoft Office in Vista

Sussessful connection of printer Dell 948 through USB to inspiron 1720. Not wireless. Can print from internet and other programs, but get error message when trying to print from Microsoft Office (ex. Word). Issue only seems to reside in Word, Excel, etc. Ideas on how to troubleshoot?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2009 14:00

jekeis,

Try re-installing the printer using these instructions and it should work wirelessly if you use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings.

I recommend that you use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings to get the best communications between the printer and all the computers.(This printer can be used wirelessly if the printer has the wireless card)

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) untiul it prompts you to restart yopur computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Please remember to install the latest firmware for the 948 Printer.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Also add Microsoft Word to the Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and un-install all versions of Java, restart your computer and download and install the latest Java.

3 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 15:00

PudgyOne - thanks for considering my issue. Before I gave this a shot though, I wanted to highlight that I don't intend to use the wireless function at all, we simply want to have it directly connected to the laptop via the USB. Does that alter your feedback?

Jekeis

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2009 15:00

Jekeis,

If you're just keeping it connected with the USB Cable, then I would disconnect the printer, run the patch as administrator and wait until it prompts you to restart your computer. Restart yoiur computer and then install the proper drivers. You can also install the Abbyy Fine reader from the disk.

Update list of applications to send scans to  and locate Microsoft Word and add it to the scan list. It should find Microsoft Word with the enhanced search.

And final tweak, I would do this.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2009 16:00

Jekeis,

Sorry, I just saw my typo. The correct information should be...

Update list of applications to send scans to  and locate Microsoft Word and add it to the scan list. It should find Microsoft Word with the enhanced search.

I have corrected this. I hope you weren't scratching your head for long.

Sorry,

Rick

3 Posts

June 4th, 2009 13:00

Rick - thanks for your help.

Jim

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 4th, 2009 15:00

Jim,

You're Welcome. Did you get it to work?