Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 30th, 2010 20:00

Dell Computer Models. Which is which?

It has been several hours since I have asked a silly question and the need is just too strong to resist: Is there a list of some kind showing the different Dell models thru the years? Or at least the last 3-5 years? I read a LOT of posts in all of the Dell Forums in an attempt to learn. Since it has been so long since I was involved in the computerverse the model number/names are sometimes difficult to follow. (i.e. laptop, desktop, high end - low end, last years or ten years old, newer technology or almost obsolete)

My thinking is to learn everything I can so as to be better able to deal with my own issues as they arise, I know they will. I have Googled till I am crosseyed and am really no closer to an answer.

As always Thank You in Advance!

Jeff

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 30th, 2010 20:00

Jeff Hoffman

You can find Dell's product and system documentation, manuals, specifications, and installation guides HERE

Bev.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2010 05:00

Hi Jeff,

When I bought our Dimension 4100 several years ago, things were a bit simpler. Dimension was the home model and Optiplex was the business model for desktops. Inspiron was the home laptop and Latitude was for business. The Dimensions had low, mid and upper end models, so there was the Dimension 2100, 4100 and 8100 (as you can see they're running out of numbers so they started to recycle). The XPS became the gaming desktop line. Then a few years ago, Dell adopted Inspiron as the name for both budget desktops and laptops for home use, Studio for mid-range desktops and laptops and XPS for gaming systems, with the Studio XPS introduced recently to fill a niche in between. There's also the Alienware gaming desktop line, which was a small company Dell bought. Business still has Optiplex desktops and Latitude laptops but they've added Vostro desktops and laptops at the budget end.

No Events found!