Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2014 08:00

I'm new to the community and already confused about policy here.

At the bottom of this very page that I'm typing on there is a section of links called "Join the Discussion".  This link sends you to a particular community section.  It is the "support" section:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/

From there, I visited the "Customer Care" forum.  It had two helpful "announcements" at the top, one labelled "Customer Care FAQ", and another helpfully letting me know what kinds of behavior is not considered "community-like".

And so I tried to "join a discussion".  I was careful to conform strictly to all advice and instruction related to what is acceptable.  I was surprised (and confused) to find that my post was deleted within 5 minutes, with no explanation. No email.  Just gone.  I'm happy to repost what I said here and subject what I said the all the standards for acceptance that were provided to me.

And so, wanting to clear up my confusion, I posted a second reply, asking, "Is the 'community' allowed to join in the discussion."  My reply was again deleted, but this time I received an email, proving to me that an explanation could have been given regarding the first deletion if the moderator cared to give it.  The email stated:

"Your forum post was deleted by a moderator.

Reason: On this Care board that deals with legal, Policy, etc. questions, we do not want other users chiming in. So to answer your question, no."

My plea is, if you don't want other users "chiming in", could you please state that somewhere as an expectation of using this board?  (Or would that make the community "look bad"). And perhaps don't have a link named "Join the Discussion" point to a group of forums where joining the discussion is rudely handled.

P.S:

I find it ironic that the email stated that this was a forum where "Legal" questions are asked, and yet BOTH announcements to users said that "legalistic" language was prohibited.  Kind of funny, isn't it?

2.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2014 22:00

Hi Vtfamily,

I`m so sorry, you have had problems on the forum. I am going to ask one of our Dell moderators to contact you and see if he can help you.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 6th, 2014 16:00

Here is the Forum Terms of Use which you agreed to when joining. We define spam in many ways, one is when a user "piggybacks" on another users thread.

"or otherwise objectionable (in our sole judgment);"

Lorna is working your issues on your thread. She asked you to email her.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/customercare/f/4674/t/19598527

You may post on other users threads but ONLY to assist them. You may not restate the data from your original post. That is not helping the user.

3 Posts

September 7th, 2014 20:00

So now I'm really confused.  I added to another's discussion on their behalf.  Not on my behalf.  I never referenced or restated any "original post" of mine.  Where are you getting the idea that this was the case?  Remember, what precipitated this post to the new user board was me being told directly that posts are deleted when other users are simply "chiming in" on the customer care board.  And from there it's extrapolated that I must be guilty of breaking a rule of conduct?  This sounds like a deflecting way to defend conduct exhibited by certain moderators.

The facts are these:

This other user felt misled by Dell due to a simple and direct statement on a Dell webpage selling a Dell-branded backpack:

"Purchase with confidence and rely on the protection of a 3-Year Limited Hardware Warranty from Dell for your Dell Urban 2.0 Backpack."

The moderator defended the statement as not having a simple interpretation because :

"I cannot see us offering a 3 year warranty for a backpack that only cost $39.99."

I simply assisted the user by pointing out (to both sides) that the Jansport Backpack website offers lifetime warranties on their backpacks, and pointed out examples that cost $35.

Should I not exhibit this form of community behavior in the future?  Did I break a rule of conduct? 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 8th, 2014 22:00

I explained to him how his interpretation of our verbiage was incorrect. The policies of Jansport have no bearing because he bought through Dell. I am done debating. Just post where you want to post. If we have issues with what you say, we will let you know.

No Events found!